evil

Sep 3, 2003
ok ive got a 2004 crf450r and as per the manual i have the dampener out of the fork assembly. i need to change the leaky seals. my problem is that the manual doesnt cover how to remove the outer tube from the fork so that i may change the seal. with all the inerds out the tube still wont release. i have noticed that there is a small allen screw on the sided of the fork that holds the wheel(dont know name). was wondering if that unscrews from the fork so that the outer sleave can slide off. any help would be great!

yam 3

May 19, 2000
you need to clamp the axle holder in a vice, and grasp the outer tube and yank it apart. It may take a few times to pop it(the seal and bushings) out of the fork tube. It is a good idea to have some bushings available to replace the old ones. I wrecked mine the last time I did my seals:(

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
After prying up the dust seal you will see a clip holding in the seal. Pry it out and then use several quick yanks to seperate. As Yam3 said you may need to replace bushings also. Some minor heat may help them separate.

Look into a set of Synergy seals. They will last longer and the forks will come apart without damaging the bushings.

doc

Top Bottom