jfurniss

~SPONSOR~
Aug 22, 2000
I'm a newbie with guns (I have an old .22) but I'd like to learn a lot more, especially about rifles. Does anyone know where I could look for BASIC info or if there is a forum like this one? For example, if a gun is rated to take 30-06Sprng, does that mean it can only take Springfield 30-06 shells?

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I would recommend a copy of the Shooters Bible too. Any good book store will have one. You can learn a lot by thumbing through the tables in the back section showing all the different ammo manufacturer's ballistic specs.

When you see a title like 30.06Sprng or .270Win, it is noting the company that originally developed the round. There are now dozens of companies that make ammo for the 30.06Sprng and the .270Win rifles. The new large handgun round is the .500S&W but Smith and Wesson does not manufacture ammo... to the best of my knowledge. Springfield Amory doesn't either, for that matter.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Stop into your local gunshop they should be able to tell you where to go to take a hunter safety course. At the very least it will get you a general knowledge of the safety aspect of shooting. You can also pick up books and magazines for information as well. Remember the most important safety isn't the ones on the gun but the one between your ears.

Steve

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
First thing... stop calling them "guns" :)

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Firearms are cool. I gre up around them, although I dont own any now, except for a pellet pistol. Ive got 5 boys running around the house, aged 2.5 thru 15 yrs. The way I figure, Id have to lock the things up so tight, it would take me too long to get them out even if someone was kicking my door in. I feel safer without them with the kids. Although I had no problem when I was young. I knew the old man slept with a pistol under his mattress, and I didnt DARE even look at it if he wasnt around. We all hunted, and I had the hunter safety course when I was 12 years old. I knew to respect firearms. Its not that I dont trust my own children, it's just something Ill save for when Im older.

My dad has an arsenal these days. Not so much like these whackos you hear about on TV, who get busted with a dozen automatic weapons, but he's taken to restoring old guns. He's even gotten to where he can make his own stocks. His wife works at a furniture company, and he can get pieces of premium woods to work with. I visited over the holidays, and he showed me a double barreled 12 gauge that was 85 years old for which he made a stock. I was a mean looking mother! SOrt of what Farmer Brown would pull on you for messin with his daughter!

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
... If they aren't guns, what are they?

Weapon and/or rifle! You call em guns and you better get yo'self familiar with the ground, private! :)

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Guns?

Guns shoot BIG rounds. Big nasty rounds. :)

Weapons shoot bullets.

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
you want guns join the navy.the ARMY calls em cannons.175 howitzer thats a BIG cannon.
if you want to learn about rifles go to a NRA shoot.they're listed at the NRA website.i'm a trapshooter/hunter so im partial to smooth bores.although i hunt deer with a bow and a muzzleloader.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
It's about damn time you came back thorman. :aj: Still racing, or was the retirement for real?

This is my weapon, this is my gun, this is for fighting, this is for fun ... "

Now don't make fun of me for referencing a movie, as I'm sure you've performed that march many a time. But wasn't that also on Full Metal Jacket, where in step they were rhythmically grabbing their..... ;) ? :laugh:

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
wardy brought me back.i'm still tryin to race.alot of things have happened.new house,my mother passed etc.but i'm hanging in there.(still married though,almost was'nt).new bike too.
as far as, this is my weapon,ahhh the smell of fort lost in the woods in the spring time.almost as good as "what is your 5th point of impact".i dont know SGT AIRBORNE.WHAT! you dont know well....we will have to educate your sorry...

Top Bottom