SSCHOEMAN

May 23, 2001
Hi Guys
I stripped my 98 KDX 200 to the frame to have it powder coated, when I started bolting things back together I decided to take off the ignition cover and flywheel to clean things up a bit, to my horror I realized that the stator is not for a 95 up but for a +- 86 model. I then realized that the CDI is also for a 86 model (metal CDI with two mounting holes). After I stopped swearing at everyone and everything I realized that I discovered eventualy why the bike doesn't want to rev. I'm allmost convinced that the previous owner replaced the whole ignition system with a +- 86 model's. The lighting coil is also missing, just a heavy modified stator plate and exciter coils.
There is only three wires leading to the CDI (Black, Blue and white with red stripe) The bike actually runs with this setup, great bottom end but no top.
My question is, is there a way of telling if the ignition coil (with blue wire) and flywheel is also from a 86 model? I suspect yes.
My problem is reconnecting the wires for the meantime until I save some money for a ignition system for a 95 up.
Am I correct in thinking that the three wires from the exciter coil goes to the CDI's corresponding color wires?
That leaves me with three wires coming out of the CDI (Black, Black with white stripe and green with white stripe)
I think the black gets earthed to the frame, the green with white stripe goes to the ignition coil and the black with white stripe to the kill switch.
Please let me know if I'm on the right track.

I would appreciate any help

Stephan

Top Bottom