badwitch

Oct 25, 2006
newbe here!! just got used yamaha ttr 125 i'm ordering manual but would like to change the oils now and have absolutely no idea what to use? there is not much oil in the bike at all... the cluch seems to be stuck, it will not disengage, what oil goes in trany and how much and what type goes in the motor? this bike has been severely neglected. thanks in advance for the help :yikes:

B

biglou

Motor/Trans share the same oil. It's capacity is 1 liter. I favor Yamalube4, or any of the name brand 4stroke oils (Honda, etc.). There are regular automotive oil alternatives, but I'm not up on those anymore...

badwitch

Oct 25, 2006
trany capcity?

what is the transmition capacity? do you add oil for motor on the right side with the dip stick, and add tranny oil on left thru side plug??

B

biglou

biglou said:
Motor/Trans share the same oil. It's capacity is 1 liter.
Drain it on the left side near the bottom, fill it on the right throught the hole with the cap with the dip stick.

badwitch

Oct 25, 2006
okay i have drained the oil now i guess i'll have to pull the side cover off to have a look at the clutch cause it still will not disengage any thoughs about what to look for ?

B

biglou

Are you sure the bike is in neutral? Generally, the back wheel will not roll freely in gear even with the clutch lever pulled in.

Otherwise, open it up and take a look. Other than the obvious burned/broken plates, you'll have to check them for thickness (calipers) and flatness (lay on glass, check gaps with feeler gauge).

badwitch

Oct 25, 2006
yes i can feel the bike junp a little when i shift down in to first, the engine revs up but the bike will not move i can feel all the gears when shifting it

B

biglou

Ah, so it's not "engaging". With the engine off, is there any freeplay in the clutch lever, or is it tight?

badwitch

Oct 25, 2006
i can start the bike it just will not move unless i'm pushing it i can feel a slight drag when i try pushing it when i put it in gear

B

biglou

You need a bit of freeplay in the clutch. Does it have a quick adjust near the lever? You want the lever to have about a nickel's worth of space where it meets the perch before you feel any resistance to pull.

badwitch

Oct 25, 2006
it has a quick adjust near the lever but it is tight there to with it screwed all the way in, ther is also an adjustment about 6 inchs down the cable it is all the way screwed in as well

badwitch

Oct 25, 2006
how do you get to the clutch on the bike i have put rings in a pw 50 once and taken many a carb apart and rebuilt never messed with the lower end before where can i get some sort of diagram or something, is the clutch under the left outer cover or does it have to be split?

B

biglou

Nope, right side. You can drain your oil, or just lay it on the left side. Remove the rear brake pedal, then look for the 8-10 bolts with 8mm heads on them. Remove those, then pull the right side cover off. You may have to tap it gently with a mallet to get it to come loose. The big round thing you will see under there is the clutch pack. I think it's only four bolts that hold the outer pressure plate on with this bike. Remove them and slide the plates off, being careful to keep them in order. You'll need a micrometer or outside caliper to measure their thickness (along with a manual to tell you what the specs for the thicknesses are). I have the book for the 01 model. If I get time, I'll look it up and post back later tonight or in the AM.

badwitch

Oct 25, 2006
sorry it's been awhile since i have posted, work and all, thanks a lot for the help!! i was able to bend the bracket that holds the clutch cable where it goes in to the motor and was able to get the clutch to engage-- disengage, and was able to ride it !! still not much adjustment though but ride-able i guess?? do you still think i need to pull the cutch out, or check to see it i have the right cable on it mabe someone has changed it at some point? also the bike has been hit pretty hard on the left side, there where the cable goes in, so hard in fact the the mounting holes for the chain guard spocket have been broken it is tied on with a tie strap (sprocket cover that is) thanks again for the help still need to get the right oil for it though, changed it and put some 30 wt not riding it now need to find to 4 stroke stuff for sure.

Top Bottom