CRPilot

~SPONSOR~
Apr 5, 2000
Has anyone ever installed a new piston ring(Teflon ring) on the stock Showa pistons (02 CR250)? It was looking a little worm on mine so I decided to replace it during a routine rebuild. The manual tells you to cut the old one off (which I have done already), but how in the world to you get the new one on? Are you suppose to cut the new ring (like the race tech piston bands) or leave it whole?

I have tried to slide it on in a hundred different ways without luck. The piston ring is a smaller diameter that the outside edges of the piston itself. (Imagine how a tire fits on the rim) I have already ordered a second new one becuase the first one is deformed from trying to install it.

Any help from the experienced would be appreciated.

svi

Dec 7, 2000
Drop the ring in a pot of boiled water to soften it, spray the piston with some silicon spray and with a bit of force it will go on, still not easy but it will go on.

CRPilot

~SPONSOR~
Apr 5, 2000
Thanks,

After I messed with it for a while I thought that it may need to be cut to get it on but it was already too late. Step cutting sounds like way to go.

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
I would not cut it. Just warm it a little (sun or lamp) lube it good and it will just roll on with a little force. Just like a tire start & seat one area and just roll it on the piston. This is better than a split ring IMO.

doc

CRPilot

~SPONSOR~
Apr 5, 2000
ShochDoc-

Will the ring return to it original shape after its heated and pushed on? The problem I had with the first one was once I got it on, it was "stretched" and did not pull tight to the piston again. As a result when I tried to reassemble the whole rod/piston stack back into the shock body it was really tight. To the point that it was binding. I could barely move the piston inside the body when I tried to bleed the air out. It just didn't feel right so I stopped and ordered a new ring.

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
There is nothing wrong with using a split ring. You could cut the one you have and make it work fine rather then waiting for the new one to show up. I have yet to see one of these "rings" so worn it could not be used over and over. Usually the problem is the O rings flat and the ring gets loose. Use new orings and Z cut your band and you should be fine.

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
CRPilot said:
ShochDoc-

Will the ring return to it original shape after its heated and pushed on? The problem I had with the first one was once I got it on, it was "stretched" and did not pull tight to the piston again. As a result when I tried to reassemble the whole rod/piston stack back into the shock body it was really tight. To the point that it was binding. I could barely move the piston inside the body when I tried to bleed the air out. It just didn't feel right so I stopped and ordered a new ring.

It should be fine after you put it on. Since it is new it will be fairly tight at first. Make sure to put a new expander o-ring
on too.

doc

Top Bottom