2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
ok so i was out riding with some friends and my bike was running great, very strong and fast. we were taking a break and i (being a complete retard) opend the radiator cap and fluid flew out everywere... then it wouldnt start, we thought i fould a plug, so we put a new one in.. but it still had compression, so we put radiator fluid in and it sounded like it wanted to start but never did... help! i was planning on going ridding with my dad tomorrow and its really important! thanks for all who help!!! :bang: :bang: :bang:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I'm guessing that the opening of the radiator and the bike not starting after are not totally related.

Probably just a coincidence.

I'd try the normal start procedure tomorrow and see what happens. Just to make sure that the carb is clear, turn on the petcock and lay the bike over until gas runs from the over flow.

Then try to start it.

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
when i pulled the first plug it had a luiqid brown stuff on it. but i will try to start it timorrow, i realy appreciate yalls help

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
"Liquid brown stuff"? on the outside of the plug under the cap or on the inside part of the plug that goes in the engine. (sorry I'm trying to be as basic as possible).

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
It was on the inside, we were able to wipe some of it off. However, I'm pretty sure this plug should've been replaced long ago. I'm about to upload pics of the plug.

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
spark1.jpg

spark2.jpg

spark3.jpg

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
I'm not sure if he wants me tear in to his bike so I'll wait 'til I get a response from him.

mas2de

May 3, 2009
You might want to try cleaning the carb, draining the water, drain and change the oil to make sure it doesn't have water in it too, clean spark plug, and try starting it up w/o water in the radiator. It won't hurt it as long as you don't take it out for a rip or let it run too long.
If it still doesn't work, there is a possibility that by opening the radiator and letting all the hot water and pressure out that you could have let the cylinder cool too fast and it could have cracked. Although this isn't very likely in Aluminum that I know of but it still could happen. (When you weld aluminum if you let it cool too fast it can crack right next to and along the weld) You might also be able to (if you had access to the tools) do a leak down test of the barrel with the piston just closing off all the ports but you have to be careful to let the case be open during this because you don't want to blow up the cases.

......or since 2-strokes have no valves (duh) you could do the easy way and pull the head, roll the piston to bdc using the kickstarter and feel very carefully for any minute cracks.

2stroker144: ..."but it still had compression, so we put radiator fluid in and it sounded like it wanted to start but never did"
So if what you say is true then your head gasket should be fine.

Hope this helps

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
Nope the plug is a BR9EG. What do you mean sure it is not piston?

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
the plug is the correct plug. i know my jetting needs help so im going to dial it in soon, jackflack go ahead and try to start it, but dont rip it around let me know how it goes..thanks bud

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
What's piston splatter? Yup youre right I have an EG (that thread is mine) and he has an ES.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
jackflack44 said:
What's piston splatter?
aluminum splatter from hot spots on the piston. Can be caused by excessive detonation or running too lean. Often happens immediately before you melt a hole in the top of your piston. You can usually tell by inspecting the top of your piston. If it looks like someone took a sharp punch to the top of your piston, you have a problem.

russdaddy

Jul 23, 2007
yea i was thinking it looked like there was particles of somethin on the plug,it looked like sand or something might have got in there,wasnt sure so i wasnt gonna say anything about it.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
jackflack44 said:

Did you roll the threads of this plug around in the mud before you took a picture of it?

I have never seen threads that nasty before...

You know, it's a really good idea to clean a bike before you tear it down.. Just sayin.

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
when i took out the plug i dropped it on the ground. so it got really messy. sorry i didnt explain earlier. so its either a blown gasket, or i need a new cylinder,..... freaking great.

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
sooooo, a head gasket is no big deal, cause if i have to replace a piston i'll change that anyway,i do spooge alittle, but not while running just if it is sitting it will drip alittle, so ill get my jetting all correct, is there anyother things i could have screwed over. y'all have been a big help.

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
ok, so i took off my exhaust today and looked at the pitson, it looked like it had a caramel color slime on it, then i looked in my oil, there wasnt any water, but there was a few metal shavings, say...6 cm long. im not a great machanic, so i know i sound stupid, but a good buddy of mine can, and so i need to know what to buy.

Top Bottom