oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
First the bad news: there was a terrible situation in which a 4 year old on a dirtbike was landed on by a quad. I don't know the full situation but it doesn't appear the quad rider or the biker were at fault. My prayers are with the injuried 4 year old (as well as the quad ridr) that he recovers fully altho from reports his injuries are severe.
Now the part where your input is needed : an Illinois TV station has started a poll to get reaction and push for a minimum age to operate dirtbikes. please use the link below and vote.
http://www.wifr.com/home/headlines/52721.html

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
That is really too bad about the boy, I hope that he has a full recovery.

70% Yes
29% No

This is nuts! :silly: Listen to this.
Currently, there are no age restrictions to ride a motorbike, just recommendations for the size of bike you should ride.

In fact, it's not uncommon for kids as young as 3 to hop on a motorbike. But the safe kid’s coalition says you should think twice before letting your youngster ride.

Another common off-road vehicle, the ATV does have age restrictions.

Because of the high number of rollovers in recent years, you now have to be 16 to ride one.
Do you really have to be 16 to ride an ATV in Illinois?

Anyway, just take a look at the link provided, the poll is off to the right. Give them your opinion.

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
I think that small kids should be under a close watch when they ride. If they are really little, they should be somewhere where they won't run into or get near other riders. I think that they have the 16 thing backwards. They put stickers on them suggesting 16, I don't think it's law. I got my drivers liscence here at 15. I started riding at 10 or 11. If there is a minimum age, it will only be the start of a long line of restrictions.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
As far as I know, the dealer isn'tupposed to sell you an ATV over 90cc if you tell them that it's for a kid under 16. I believe once you get it away from the dealer, it's up to you, though.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Currently: 65% - yes, 34% - no

I do not agree with an age restriction - maybe just an IQ test or the like for adults supervising younguns. Maybe a breathalizer would be good for some. I have seen many very responsible parents with little kids on bikes and quads (supervised) - then there are the few who use the bike as a baby sitter and let the kids ride in areas they should not be in without supervision or guidance.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by KelvinKDX

I do not agree with an age restriction - maybe just an IQ test or the like for adults supervising younguns. Maybe a breathalizer would be good for some.

Very well said Kevin. Currently 61 yes - 38 no.

Old CR goat

Sponsoring Member
Nov 10, 2000
67/yes, 36/no.
the age restriction posted on the atvs, are a CYA for the manufacturers.
Usually the dealer will have you sign a statement that he also informed you of the age restriction by the manufacturer, also a CYA.

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
I just voted no and the tally is: 42% YES/ 57% NO.

From what I have seen, MOST, and I say that loosely, parents I have seen keep a very careful eye on their children while they are riding. This is in a closed track enviornment though. Home might be a different story, but there are always "bad apples" that use the bike as a baby-sitter and don't take care of even the most basic needs of a child. Imposing an age limit wouldn't keep children from getting hurt or learning to ride. Parents will always find ways to get their children bikes if they want to.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Done.

35% Yes
64% NO

Where's the other one percent? :think:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
If they only knew what they where up against! Almost 17,000 highly biased riders!
:) :) :)

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Send letters too if you think it will help... let's just not forget about the injured rider either.

talkto23@wifr.com

Motorbiking accident creates questions instead of answers
Rockford, IL
23 Newsroom

I read the report about the child in critical condition and have spoken to friends of mine in your state who know of the track. First, my heartfelt condolences go out to the child and the child's family. Unfortunately, accidents happen and however unavoidable they seem to be it is heartwrenching when they do happen.

I ride and race dirtbikes. I am a slow rider still trying to get out of the beginner class at age 30. I know many people who ride and race who range from 4 years old to 60+. I would really hate for this unfortunate incident to lead to any type of restriction. In my opinion it is almost as bad for a knee jerk reaction to occur and take away opportunities for young people as it is for this accident to occur.

In all sports there are accidents. According to Safe Kids in 2000 there were 25,600 All Terrain Vehicle (ATV)-related injuries and nearly 2,400 children were treated for snowmobile-related injuries. That number is much less than the more popular sports offered in the public schools. For example, Safe Kids points out that Baseball has the highest fatality rate among all sports for children ages 5 to 14. Furthermore, The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has the following statistics of injury for the year 1998:

Baseball 180,582
Basketball 631,186
Bicycles 577,621
Football 355,247

Those are very popular sports and have a tremendous amount of supervision and guidance incorporated in them. Yet we still have accidents. The answer to avoiding accident's with OVH's, as it is with any sport, is not an age restriction that will take away a valuable learning opportunity for the youth. It is more education, more riding opportunities to avoid overcrowding and parental involvement.

I know of many young kids who are highly motivated as a result of dirtbikes. From a young age they wanted to ride and they have put forth a tremendous effort to achieve their goals. Whether it is working part time to afford the bike itself or working extra hard with chores and homework to be allowed to ride on the weekend, I see children every week doing their best so they can enjoy their chosen recreation.

From my experience dirtbiking is a great opportunity and character builder for young people. I can show you ten times as many quality young people who have benefited from being involved in dirtbiking at a young age than anyone can show me accidents.

I request that as you move forward with this story you please contact the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (http://www.msf-usa.org/) at 1-800-446-9227 and the American Motorcyclist Association (http://www.ama-cycle.org) at (614) 856-1900 for other viewpoints on age restrictions and the proper safety procedures that should be put in place.

Thank you for your time. Again, my heartfelt condolences go out to the injured rider and family.

Sincerely,
Ivan J. Liechty
Spartanburg, SC
South Carolina Off-Road Enthusiasts (www.scohv.org)
AMA Member

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Still 35% yes and 64 % no

I think what's needed is for these track owners to seperate the two, it's crazy to have quads on a track at the same time.

They don't allow them at all on Elsinore and they're talking about banning them all together at the new Comp Park

Last edited:

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Excellent letter, Ivan. Who helped you write it? :p

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I started ridding bikes when I was 4 I know how to ride a 71 honda trail 50 before I know how to ride my bicycle! I've had a similar crash experience when I was little I had my older sis land on me with an XR 75. I just got a scratch on my face and jarred really good. so you now how I voted. I think it's clearly an issue of poor suporvision than age. I like the practice track I goto idea. They have a seperate track just for the lil ones and no one under 80cc's is allowed on the big bike track.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Done. Responsibility lies on the parents who need to make the decisions as to what is good for their child, as long as they are mentally capable. Unfortunately, things will never change and there will be times that parents want other people to take care of their kids. Hope the two riders are doing well after the crash.
Elk

Top Bottom