xxrrider

Aug 16, 2004
Hi All,

A few of us are looking for way to increase the range of our KDX's. The IMS tanks look great, but only provide a 0.5gal increase over stock and cost about $220. Does anyone have any other ideas on how to get maybe an extra gallon of fuel capacity? Is the IMS really only 3.4 gal?

Baja Designs sells tanks for KTM's and WR's that are about 1.25 gallons and bolt on where the left number plate goes. The WR version looks like it may work on a KDX with an adapter plate or 2. Has anyone ever done this?

Any other ideas? A few metal fuel bottles banging around in my fender bag just kinda scares me...

Thanks for any ideas,
Anthony

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
I've heard of blokes converting the coolant expansion bottle to an emergency fuel supply, but it wouldn't give you much. where ever you put something substantial, it's going to affect the stability of the bike (weight distribution). If that's not too much of a problem, maybe you could adapt something to fit at the front of the triple clamps, above the front fender. So long as you don't need a headlight that is !

Just ideas...

Andrew

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Maier makes bottles that clip onto the crossbar. You can run two of them which is good for 1 gallon I believe. Acerbis also makes a front number plate tank.

-Maurice

rlbranson

Dec 24, 2003
How much range do you need? I have gone over 90 miles on my IMS and didn't hit reserve. If you ride with a backpack you could put a quart plastic container in there. Yeah, metal container is not desireable.

Bob
kdx200

FeelinFordy

Feb 13, 2005
I have also seen folks use old military plastic canteens on the cross bar. They have canvas covers with belt holders that can be easily attached with zip ties for that long trip.
I have not had the need personally so cannot vouch for it. But looked like a cheap trick.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
You can can carry plastic bottles in your fanny pack or various places on your bike (cross bar, behind the front number plate, in the tool bag) or body (zip tied to your chest protector?). Multiple small bottles is probably easier than one big jug.

Just dump them into the tank as soon as you burn enough fuel to make room.

rlbranson

Dec 24, 2003
Jeez, if I got pictures of my bike I probabley couldn't figure out how to put them on the internet. I don't think it looks bad. If you put any aftermarket tank on make sure that there is nothing in the way. The top fork pinch bolts stuck out and made contact with my tank. I just ground them down flush with the top clamp and everything is fine, I like the looks of my tank, You have to use the IMS radiator shrouds because the stockers won't fit. At least that is what I was told. I didn't try to use the stockers. They would look odd anyhow, green shrouds next to a whitish tank. I will look into getting pictures, but I'm not making any promises.

Bob
'98 kdx200 (resting)

Top Bottom