Need More Low End Out Of My Rm250!!

shazbot

Oct 12, 2004
I have just traded out a quad for a stock(except for a fmf pipe and i dropped the front spk. from 13 to 12) 98 rm250. I do alot of tight trail riding with plenty of hills thrown in as well. The jetting is all in the stock position. I ride a wr426 as well so i am use to lugging around. i would just like a little more grunt down low and mid if possible.Also any advice in helping smooth out the hit before it gets on the pipe. Any input would be much appreciated :worship: :ride:

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
I've heard that some people have had some luck with a thinner head gasket on some bikes. I can't say for sure the pluses and minuses for your bike in particular though.

Crash 142

May 30, 2002
Does your 98 have an external preload adjuster on the powervalve? If so, dial it back (counterclockwise) a quarter turn (from stock). That's supposed to ease the hit from low to mid.

shazbot

Oct 12, 2004
i'm not reallty sure if it does or not. i'll have to look in the manual. do you think it will make a noticeable difference?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Try Carbon Tech low tension reeds. It will give you noticable low end improvment. You may also want to add some flywheel weight to smooth out the hit. It will also keep you from stalling when you are lugging it around.

The PV tension adjust ment can be tweaked to determine when the valve opens but I would set it at stock and try the reeds and flywheel weight to get the biggest gains.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
what about going up a tooth on the rear sprocket along with all the other things mentioned.

shazbot

Oct 12, 2004
i've already dropped the front sprocket 1 tooth from 13 to a 12. that help out alot but i would still like a little more pull from the bottom. i think i will try the reeds and i was definitly going to try the flywheel to to help out the low speed stalls , so i contacted steahly about what size to order and have yet to get a response(2 weeks ago). any input on what weight i should use. thanks

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
Dropping on the front sprocket helps a little, I did that before but went back to the stock front and went one tooth up on the rear which stock was a 49 so i jumped to a 50 and notice a lot more power getting to the rear wheel that when i dropped the front sprocket a tooth. I would try that instead of the one tooth down on the front sprocket. Good Luck

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The 98 RM 250 is decent down low. Make sure your top end is fresh and your reeds ok. If your asking for more low I cannot help but think your powervalve may be dirty. The low end on the RM was excellent. Top end ...not so good.

Top Bottom