Need more power, better suspenders...no you don't!

COMBEN

Nov 7, 1999
http://www.trackntrail.freeuk.com/2val-06-06.pdf

Last Sunday I raced an HnH and finished an OK 10th in class, I came home thinking "I'm better than my bike, yes, I will order that '06 super sexy in yellow 'n black GasGas EC200 rocket ship with suspension like a silk glove....my old KDX isn't good enough for me now...she's holding me back from leaving work and being the world champ blah blah blah"...you know what I'm saying :bang:

but it just goes to show...I finally met up with fellow KDX forum member Pete Fry mounted on his 1990's KDX SR small carb', heavier tin-tank, swide ratio gears, softer sprung Jap' domestic market version, and you know.... I just checked the results and he placed 3rd to add to his already excellent previous result... :cool:

just goes to show, it ain't the bike it's the talent on the bike

One of the great things about this HnH was that we were racing with Daryl Bolter, european champion...it made my eyes water to just how much faster a champ' is...you need to see and btter still run with someone this quick to believe just how much better these guys are, he made the whole field seem like they were running with their chokes on, poetry in motion...even my girlfriend was impressed :whoa:

Anyway, well done Pete, see you at King's Hill hopefully, just remember we are going the other way 'round this time, hang on forget that last comment and I may get a 9th :laugh:
I actually think that if it wasn't for my severe lack of talent......hangover......... aching arm from painting fences all week.......old age........ sun-spots........ position of the moon's influence on the cosmos I could of been 1st!
Richard

krazyinski

Feb 2, 2006
:ride: That's gospel COMBEN,some guys are just born to ride others have to learn. I'm a learning with riders born to it, but I'm sure I could make m look faster if I was on a new bike. :laugh:

pete fry

Mar 9, 2004
Thanks for the kind words Comben,I had a blast on that track.Its the tips from this site that have turned my SR into a 16 year old ripper!I will be going to Kings Hill so I will see you there.All hail Canadian Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Very cool thread, just hope no MX types read it, they think if it dosn't cost an arm and a leg it can't be fast enough for them :nod:

After all, the bike is just there... YOU ride it!

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
kmccune said:
Very cool thread, just hope no MX types read it, they think if it dosn't cost an arm and a leg it can't be fast enough for them :nod:

After all, the bike is just there... YOU ride it!

I've been reading it. . .

The 144 kit on my bike did make me a bit faster because I accelerate faster out of corners.

However. . .

I still can't come close to beating my buddy on his '95 KX125 or my other buddy on his bone stock 03 RM 125.

Mods can help, but they don't make a slow guy fast.

Of course, in my case, my cylinder was on the outer edge of spec, so the 144 made sense.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999

notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
"Mods can help, but they don't make a slow guy fast."

"it ain't the bike it's the talent on the bike"

Hey, this ain't right! Don't let my wife see this post! :|

A new bike will always make you a better rider. Right? Right?!! Work with me here!! :yell:

:laugh:

QLD_KDX

Aug 18, 2005
notenuftoys said:
"Mods can help, but they don't make a slow guy fast."

"it ain't the bike it's the talent on the bike"

Hey, this ain't right! Don't let my wife see this post! :|

A new bike will always make you a better rider. Right? Right?!! Work with me here!! :yell:

:laugh:

Seriously, I think a newer bike is a lot more forgiving than an older bike - better suspension, better ergonomics etc, so they can help us mere mortals go a bit quicker. A 'born' rider is so damn good he doesn't need all that technology to smoke the rest of us. I've had kids on clapped out 80s passing me on the tabletop :yikes:

FWIW, I am about 10% quicker on my KTM300 than I ever was on the KDX, and I'm not talking about a straight line here - it corners and handles so much better that I can recover from situations that would have made me crash out on the KDX.

does that help?? ;)

Andrew

duke

Oct 9, 1999
In racing about local fire roads, I have out run guys on KTM thumpers and tricked out DRZ400 dual sport conversions, only to have myself be passed by some guy in 80's retro gear on an XR250! Go fiugure.

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
COMBEN said:
One of the great things about this HnH was that we were racing with Daryl Bolter, european champion...it made my eyes water to just how much faster a champ' is...you need to see and btter still run with someone this quick to believe just how much better these guys are, he made the whole field seem like they were running with their chokes on, poetry in motion...even my girlfriend was impressed :whoa:

I saw Daryl riding his Husky WR125 a couple of times in 2002. The special test at the Hafren has imprinted itself on my mind for good. It was a grass mx test and he was practically doing stoppies into the corners and wheelies out of them, clutch slipping to keep the revs up. Riding on the edge, pretty spectacular to watch. The engine note hardly changed around the test, throttle WFO all the way. He was riding clubman then and posted a time that would have put him top 5 overall.

pete fry

Mar 9, 2004
I heard a two stroke screaming up behind at the last hare and hounds i did.I gave room for him to pass and it was Darryl on his husky.He shouted out thanks so I thought I could learn something from him in the woods.I learnt Im not quick enough!!!!!!!! He was simply warp speed!!!!!Im positive he rode in a straight line flat out and the trees moved out of the way.

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
pete fry said:
I heard a two stroke screaming up behind at the last hare and hounds i did.I gave room for him to pass and it was Darryl on his husky.He shouted out thanks so I thought I could learn something from him in the woods.I learnt Im not quick enough!!!!!!!! He was simply warp speed!!!!!Im positive he rode in a straight line flat out and the trees moved out of the way.

haha, I know what you mean. Check out Ricky Mair doing the business at the scottish round of the BEC on his WR125

http://www.enduronews.com/mov02599.mpg

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
pete fry said:
Wow what a great clip.How can he look so out of control and yet be in total control.Amazing talent.

yeah, the fast 125 riders seems to ride pretty loose. I guess less power means they have to keep it wide open, hence the riding style. With Less weight they can save it from stuff that would normally send you into the trees. And amazing talent. I would have loved to have seen Little Eddy winning the Welsh on an 80 back in the day.

Top Bottom