Twiztid One

~SPONSOR~
Aug 19, 2003
well it finally got nice enough to get the bike out this weekend and try and get some jetting done . i have a 2001 200 , no lid , fmf pipe , boysen reeds , 162 main , 52 pilot , 1 3/4 out on the air screw and 3rd clip on the needle , the bike runs awesome everywhere . did a plug chop and want to know what you guys think ? the plug on the left is the plug chop and the one on the right is the one i ran the whole day playing around , i think it might be running a little lean by the color . anybody got ant opinions ? thanks jeff

Attachments

• plug chop 2-26-04.jpg
    plug chop 2-26-04.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 184

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
whats the weather and altitude where you are riding? Did you mean 220? I cant believe how different my jetting is from yours. i cant look at that picture of your plugs, but mine is a 2003 KDX200, with a PC Pipe, and Boyesen reeds, and my jetting is a 155 main, 45 pilot, and the needle in the 4th position from the top. the temps now are around 40-50 degrees. and my plug chops are a tan color on the inside.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
While I'm no expert, If that's the mixture ring I'm seeing, it looks very rich to me

I believe the goal is to get that ring down the base and around 1mm thick

Next time cut the threads down a little further so you can clearly see where the ring is at

I've included a pic of my latest chop. 6-8 seconds max at WOT
Temps were in the mid 40's, altitude 1200-2000'
Fatty, No Lid, 607 Reeds, RB Carb & Head Mods, NGK B9ES
150 main / 42 pilot / CEK Clip #3 / air screw 7/8 out

Next week I'll try a couple chops with the Delta Force II :yeehaw:

Attachments

• plug chop.jpg
    plug chop.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 136

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Forget the plug chop. How does it run? Seems like some mighty rich jets you got going there. Color looks pretty good on plug though..........even though I'm no fan of plug chops.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
A poster child for too much fuel.

162? How did that choice come about? That's one over stock, and stock is generally too rich for any reason.

Twiztid One

~SPONSOR~
Aug 19, 2003
canyncarvr said:
A poster child for too much fuel.

162? How did that choice come about? That's one over stock, and stock is generally too rich for any reason.

WELL ATLEAST I'M TRYING TO FIGURE OUT MY FREAKING JETTING ! i was running right on with the 160 main , with the lid on and and the fmf , then i did the reeds and took the lid completely off so i went one up on the main to see where it was at and did the plug chop yesterday . the bike runs great and lofts the front wheel with ease just worried about being lean .

Last edited:

Jackyl

Apr 29, 2002
Well, it WAS only 60 degrees, and we usually ride in the upper 80's - 90's. I'd say go back down to the stock main. (160?) and possibly the 50 pilot, although the airscrew is setup where it should be with the 52.

"air screw 7/8 out" need to go up on your pilot, it should be between 1 1/2 - 2 turns out.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
"air screw 7/8 out" need to go up on your pilot, it should be between 1 1/2 - 2 turns out.

Mabe on a stock, no divider plate, non bored carby

For a softer hit I'll go 1 1/2 turns out, but for maximum kick 7/8 works pretty darn good

If your bike runs great now, you better hold on tight when you get the jetting sorted out! :ohmy:

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Don't take it personally.

Was just an expression of fact.

Had nothing to do with a perceived lack of resolve toward finding a resolution to the situation.

But...not only is the 162 odd, but a 52 is way off base.

I'd be worried about extraneous air before I'd be trying to jet it.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Man, Wibby! What did you do? Knaw the threads off that plug? If you used a hacksaw, then for godsake, stop drinking so many beers before you have a go at her.
DFII? I just saw an ad in a mag for the new DFIII. Are there sales on the old DFII's now?
Twisted's plug looks way too rich. If you think you have performance now, wait until you get that thing jetted correctly. I think your logic with starting a bit on the rich side is a safe tactic. Buy plenty of plugs and jets, both main and pilot. Your bike will let you know well before you cause any damage doing plug chops that you have gone too lean. Listen to the motor for any detonation, a sure sign you are getting too lean.

Last edited:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
As a matter of fact I was drinking BEER at the time, but I was using my new cordless Dremel with a cut off wheel.

Top Bottom