Need opinions and advice about riding in sand dunes

Flux3D

Aug 8, 2007
I have a 2005 yz250 and I am going to be riding in dunes a lot because I go to school 20 mins away from pismo beach dunes in central coast california. I was wondering if anyone who rides sand a lot can give me some advice to protect my bike from wear that usually comes from sand riding.

Any help will be greatly appriciated!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
You should try to run rich on the main and be prepared to tear down the bearings regularly. Suspension setup is important to maintain utmost control and never land with the throttle off (digger).

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Stand up and keep the power up. +1 on the bearing.

bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
stay on that throttle at all times, i will ride my rear brake if need be as to not gain speed and still keep that back wheel spinning. sand is abrasive and small and can work into just about anything so keep grease in all the rear linkage and i've never used seal savers although i know a few people who swear by them. anyone care to comment on seal savers more as if they work good for sand or not

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Flux3D said:
what is the bearing exactly?

The suspension linkage. Sand will work it's way into EVERYTHING. After a full day in the sand I would do a close inspection and service of the suspension roller bearings in the steering head and wheel bearings.

bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
come on guys I think this is a good topic doesn't anyone else have some good tips on sand riding in general it would be nice to hear some opinions from some more people

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
I was being completely serious, and I think most of the people in here were being serious as well. Sand requires to be pushed so you have keep it pinned. By pinned I mean keep it in the power band. You'll get the feel for it. Once you go fast enough on the sand you kind of float on it. My favorite riding is sand riding. Makes me drool when I think about it. But like someone said it gets everywhere so inspect your bike after you finish. Just wash it after you ride it.

Matt Fisher

Apr 17, 2002
-Because Pismo is next to the ocean, the sand has a high salt content. Do not take your bike home and just let it sit, always wash it right away.
-When you grease your bearings, make sure they are packed full, this makes it harder for the sand to work it's way into them.
-If you run a paddle tire, you won't be forced to keep it pinned all the time, just don't try to putt along at 5 mph in 1st gear. Once you've developed just a bit of mph, the bike will ride on top of the sand, instead of plowing through it. Power on is still a better way ride in the sand though.
-If you run a paddle tire, remove the plastic shock guard, otherwise the tire will do it for you. I've seen "duners" make a new guard from an inner tube and place it between the airbox and shock.
-Pull up the bump stop on the shock and clean under there too.
-Drop the forks all the way down in the triple clamps for better stability.
-Spraying the bike down with WD40 helps keep it from rusting, but helps to attract more sand- pick your poison.
-Plan on completely tearing down the bike on occasion to find sand in areas you didn't know existed (you'll find sand in the damndest areas on your body too).
-Go slow when near the beach- tickets suck.
-When you crash and turn your 10' long flag pole into a 4' long flag pole, just zip-tie it to your chest protector (the back side, silly).

-If you're going there to ride just forget the big weekends. If you're going there in search of "companionship", enjoy the big weekends. :cool:

***Do not start jumping stuff without a spotter on top of the jump- you can very easily join the many folks that have died at Pismo from a bike/quad/buggy/truck crash.***

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
haha yeah you will end up getting a nice close up view of your front tire as you take a bite out of it. Enjoy the sand my friend. I cannot stress how much I love to ride on sand dunes!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Seriuosly, you need no brakes there. Stay on the gas when you land jumps or you'll kiss your bars. Take the advice on keeping the bike serviced too. Spotters on jumps are a great idea. There's no sign to tell the buggies and quads to stay of your dunes so be real careful. I think you need a flag there, use it to save yourself. Ride slow on the beach or the rangers will get you. The bike gets rung out a bit in the dunes so you may do top ends a bit sooner. They get real hot as well so watch the motor and listen to it. Have fun!

Top Bottom