Need RB carb jetting to tame FRP ported 220

menujet

Apr 12, 2002
I had a '96 200 with FMF -K35, stock ports, an RB head mod and carb with 152/40/BEL-3 AS 2.5 The bike had abundant smooth torque, no hitting and I was a very happy camper.

But my son needed a bigger bike and I found a very good price on a 220 so I gave him the 200 and kept the 220 for myself.

The 220 has FRP porting and head mod and a Pro Circuit Platinum Pipe. It hits way too hard for woods riding. I put the FMF K 35 and the RB carb on the 220 which helped a lot, but would like to get rid of the mid throttle hit completely.

Currently have the 220 at 152/40/BEL-3 AS 2.5 - any advice on where to go next with the RB jetting? Would an A series needle help? I have search past threads but wanted to ask specifically about using the RB to mellow out the port job and which if any A series needle are being used out there.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
K35 is the torque pipe.
I second mOrie on the DEK/4 (or /3).
Also, go up 1 (or more) on the main jet and it will mellow the hit. Some of these port jobs require several sizes richer on the main jet anyway. Better keep an eye on being too lean. I think Canyncarvr had the FRP porting and was surprised by how rich he had to go on the main. Maybe he'll jump in here.

hog

Nov 13, 2001
I have the Rev-pipe, RB mod carb and the FRP port / head on my 2004 220. to get it back in shape for my style of woods riding.....
For the carb, I kept the original needle that was sent and moved to 40 pilot, 158 main. It still had to much hit with the clip in two from the top and 7/8 out on the screw. My final setup is clip in three from the top with the screw 1 5/8 out. Lastly I put in the FRP torgue ring to move the power down from mid a little. Now its very smooth and soft on the bottom and pulls nicely without stall into the mid power.

As it was originally setup the hit would loft the front wheel in gears 1-4 and break traction to easily.

menujet

Apr 12, 2002
Gents,

Thanks for the great tips! The DEK needle was a great improvement for tight woods - still need to do some fine tuning, but maybe now I'll live long enough to see my grandchildren!

Top Bottom