Need Sizing Help! Thor Women's Phase Gear

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I'm buying some new gear for the wife (birthday gift), and have it narrowed down to the women's Phase gear from Thor. Only problem is that I don't have any idea on size.

All the pants in her closet are size 8, and the Thor pant sizing runs 16" - 24". Should I just take a tape measure to one of her size 8 pants?

Also, any idea on jersey size? Small or Medium? She's 5' 4" and about 125lbs.

These are mail order, so I'd like to get the size right the first time if at all possible.

Any women riders out there who were the Thor Phase gear for women, and are about the same size?

Thanks ladies!

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Smit-Dog said:
have it narrowed down to the women's Phase gear from Thor....All the pants in her closet are size 8, and the Thor pant sizing runs 16" - 24".

For some reason that doesn't sound right...Are the Thor Women's gear in traditional Women's Sizes (eg 2,4,6,8,10,12, etc?) or are they in traditional gear waist size by inch??

I ask because if all they have are size 16 and higher, they would all be for larger women. And if they are in traditional "waist inches" size, they would fit little kids at 16" - 24"

Here's my guess: If she wears Women's Size 8, she should fit in a size 8 pants size. I would go S on the top.

I would guess a woman of her size would fit in traditional 30" waist gear if you go that route. You could measure the waist on a pair of her pants to be sure.

Here's a hint: If you're not sure, get her pants on the SMALLER size. If you get her pants that are too big, that will piss her off!

Maybe some of the other ladies have checked out the Women's Thor gear and can help Smitty out??

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Thanks Moca (that's what I see in your screen name ;) )... got me :think: 'ing...

Check out the Thor site, and click on 'Part Numbers'... this is what I was using for a sizing reference.

http://www.thormx.com/Product.jsp?product_path=979-1008-1010-3121-100

Looks like an error on the site. First section under Part Numbers is blank... perhaps meant for "Womens" sizes, followed by a section with 16-24 sizes, and "Girls" in the description.

Sites like Rocky Mountain though do list sizes 26"-36" for ladies, and 16"-24" for Youth Girls.

I'll get the 30" Ladies size pants... Thanks!

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I checked out the site and it sure is hard to navigate....If I was ordering for myself, I wouldn't even know what to order. If there's a phone number to talk with someone, might want to try that. Usually, they have a sizing chart to go with ordering a women's size (eg 30" waist = size 8/10, etc).

Good luck!!! Maybe someone else who has ordered this product will chime in here and set this topic straight.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
I'm about your wife's size, and I would go with a medium on top. The women's gear tends to run a bit smaller than the equivalent men's gear. I don't know about Thor, but I bought a women's jersey from another brand in a small and it was a little more snug than I would like.
Same with gloves-- if she would wear a men's small glove, get her a medium women's glove.

The 30-32" waist should be approx. equivalent to a size 8. Check with Thor, as manufacturers differ slightly in sizing. I usually get a 32" pants, just because I like to have the extra room for hip pads and kidney belt.

Those sizes on the Thor site don't look right. Those are all sizes for young girls.
I just looked at the Dennis Kirk website, and they separate out the girls sizing and the womens sizing. The womens starts at 26" and goes up.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Looks like the Thor site is missing the ladies sizes, but all the web sites / catelogs I checked have it right. Good to know 30" ~ size 8.

I thought I could score some 05 stock in blue and get a deal, but all that's left is wrong color / wrong size. I'm going to wait and save this gift for Mother's Day instead, as the riding season for us is over now until April.

Thanks for the help!

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Well, Smitty, it's a fine gift for either holiday. Good thinking!

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
I just got a catalog from Chaparral yesterday, and they have a package deal right now on the Thor Phase gear for women.
$141 for pants, jersey, and gloves. (www.chaparral-racing.com)

Also some package deals on MSR and Answer, too.

That big winter holiday is also a good time for moto-gifts. :)

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
As far as sizing goes, I'd have to agree with Natty and Lori. Pants sizes are pretty true to traditional womens sizes, I wear between a 6 and an 8 in women's pants, and all my gear is the same sizes.

As far as jerseys, I'm about the same size as your wife, and I also wear a medium jersey. There's plenty of room to move in a medium.

Also, I know you have narrowed your search down to the Thor Phase Gear, but I HIGHLY recommend the MSR RG2X (I think that's the numbers/letters). I got a set at Dirtweek last year, it's phenomenal gear. The legs are plenty long in the pants, the sleeves are plenty long in the jersey, and most importantly I don't have to hurt my head to get the jersey over it. The head opening is very stretchy and comfy. I even put the pants to the test the first day I wore them by burning them on a pipe, there's the outer material and then the liner on the inside, and the liner never burned through.

Just my $0.02.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
squeaky said:
Also, I know you have narrowed your search down to the Thor Phase Gear, but I HIGHLY recommend the MSR RG2X

Same here...I have two sets and really like them. My knee braces haven't rubbed holes in them, and they have held up through my crashes. When I was looking for new gear last year I compared the Thor, Fox, and MSR. The MSR seemed to be made the best, followed by Thor, then Fox IMO.

Sorry..can't help on the sizing. I'm smaller that the ladies who have replied so far.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
For the intended use / abuse of this gear, the quality of all the top brands is pretty much equal. The main reason for going with the Thor Phase gear is that it's mostly white. My wife doesn't like to ride when it is hot (80-85+), and the Thor gear will reflect the sun the most. I'd consider vented gear, but I haven't found any made for women.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Ah, if it's vented gear you want, you can't beat the Moose Sahara gear. I have two sets. Don't care that they aren't women-specific, I need to be comfortable! The pants are fine-- have nice adjustable waist closures. The jerseys are usually big, even when I get an adult medium. Oh well! That's the price you pay for ventilation.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Thanks MXG! Looks like Fox is one of the few that you can buy direct. For $80 (pants + jersey), it's exactly what I'm looking for...

:cool:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
No problem glad I could help.:) I've been home stuck at home for two days with a really bad tension headache...I kinda needed something to do.

Top Bottom