MadEarthWorm

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2003
As some of you know I rode a dirtbike for the first time a couple weeks ago (thanks Gomer) and the experience changed my life. Okay nothing that dramatic but it was awesome, so I decided to get one ASAP. :laugh:

I found a KX250F ready to go (just one left) and a sweet enclosed trailer looking for a home. The only problem is I live in the DC/MD area and the weather is turning to garbage, what should I do?

If I get the bike it’s just gonna sit in the garage (that will drive me crazy), but if I don’t get it I may not be able to get a good deal in March since demand will be up. Do people ride in the winter as long as there is no snow? Are tracks open? Do I have to wait till spring and read about bikes all winter? :think:

Last edited:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
You "should" be able to get a better deal this time of year, but... It's tough having to look at the bike sitting there all winter, but better than looking at an empty garage! It'll give you time to tear the bike down, grease it up and generally "get to know" the bike. Get a shop manual and go over the whole thing.

BTW, welcome to the addiction :thumb:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Go get the bike and then take a little vacation in the south and go ride. :thumb:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I would get the bike now!!! You can always travel to other locations that are not snowed in (long weekend trips or something). Congratulations!

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Two years ago, I was stationed in Quantico. I rode YEAR-ROUND! I don't recall if the tracks remained open (I'm pretty sure The Landing did), but if anything, you should be able to get some trail time....which would probably be better for you anyway so you can develop your skills.

B

biglou

Haha, you're asking fellow addicts if you should buy or not! ;) I'm with Okie, buy it, take it apart, get to know it, etc. You'll learn a TON just tearing it apart and putting it back together. Plus, you can sit on it and make motorcycle noises when it's too cold to ride!

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I say get it, tear it down and grease everything then you will be familiar with the bike and can spend Christmas buying new bars and other aftermarket goodies :)

Ivan

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
If you get the bike, you *will* make time and find places to ride it...even if it means driving south of Richmond in search of unfrozen ground.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Shouldn't this be in the flame forum :flame: :laugh:

And the guy thinks he has a problem :)

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
Yes , I ride year round here if it's not too bad, it just hurts more when you hit the ground ;)
You know how the weather here is, could be 70 in Jan or Feb?????

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
We ride all year long, as long as we get back before the frost bite sets in.....just think of the snow as a nice soft blanket to fall on........... click here

MadEarthWorm

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2003
LOL, well I think that answers my question! Thanks for the input everybody; I was thinking along the lines of getting acquainted with the bike as a good reason to have it now rather than later. I like to be familiar with my stuff and if you can;t ride you might as well learn all you can.

Good point KXTodd[b/], the weather here can be accommodating, I guess I'm just freaked out after last winter? I'd never seen so much snow (doesn't seem to be an issue for scooter's crowd!). Glad to see someone from my neck of the woods.

linusb

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2002
Riding in the cold isn't bad. Working all those muscles keeps you pretty warm. I also say get it now. Like Gomer says, you'll find a way.

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
And if you get the bike now, you won't have to worry about what to ride if you join us at Paragon for our DRN ride in the spring :thumb:

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Listen to what Okie and Ivan said......with a new bike, pull it down and grease it up. You'll be amazed at how little grease will be in certain parts on a newly assembled bike.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Plus if you get the enclosed trailer, you have time too set it up.. Cabinets, benches etc :thumb: SO when do we get pics of the new bike?? :laugh: Welcome too the addiction :laugh:

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
Get it, tear it apart as has been said. Understanding how all the parts of a dirtbike work can really help you with your actual riding ability. You will have a better understanding of what the dirtbike will do and why. We ride year round here. You'd be surprised how much snow a dirtbike will go through. As your skills develop, the conditions you will ride in will expand too. Last week I had the kdx out in snow that ranged from 4" to 1.5'. Now there were some snow machine and fourwheeler tracks to stay in (when I could stay in them anyway) and some pushing, falling and sliding, but I was seriously impressed when the day was over. I hadn't had such a good workout in a long time. Get that sucker and enjoy it.

Top Bottom