Need some help... come marvel at my idiocy

emoguitar131

Aug 20, 2005
Okay guys, I need some help... I'd been reading up about ways to help eliminate handlebar vibration and saw that some guys fill their handlebars with foam insulation to absorb some of the vibration while riding. Well, I decided to give it a shot, and poked a 1/4" hole in the end of each grip. Then, I proceeded to fill the handlebars from each end with "Great Stuff" window and door expanding foam insulation. When it started to ooze out of the other side, I stopped and figured I would just let it expand completely, clean it up, and I'd be all set. Not the case... I clearly underestimated the expansion properties of the stuff, as I checked on it 15 minutes later and realized that my throttle was seized. Realizing my problem, I immediately disassembled the throttle. The foam had worked it's way all the way up through the throttle housing, and even to the beginning of the throttle cable. The back of the can said that the wet foam could be dissolved with acetone, but knowing acetone also dissolves plastic, I figured that would be a bad idea. I tried WD-40 but to no avail. This stuff is TOUGH. So now, I have a throttle housing that's completely covered in cured foam insulation and no way to remove it. Does anyone know of a solvent that might get this stuff off? If I can't find a solvent I guess I'll have to get in there with a little screwdriver and start chipping it all away. Any input is appreciated... thanks in advance.

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
Filling the bars is a good idea!!! I've used that stuff before for other things and it's super sticky when it's wet!!! Try lacquer thinner ???

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You'll look back at this and laugh...I hope :) That cured foam is tought stuff for sure! You may end up just digging and cutting it off with an exacto knife. You can try solvents but test them on the throttle housing first. Good luck

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Methylethylketone (MEK) is one of the toughest solvents known to mankind. Use it at your own risk. It would also be cheaper and faster to just bite the bullet and cut the old stuff off.

Great story though. Sounds like something I'd do.

If you want to try another method, stuff rolls of pennies or nickels into your bar ends. I know some Harley people who swear by that.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Sorry to laugh. But I have to.
That stuff expands like crazy. I've seen it bow out sheetrock and bend door jams so the door won't close anymore. A little bit goes a long ways.
You might try buying a new throttle assembly and hammering the old one off of the handle bar. When really frustrated, I find hitting things makes me feel better.

Top Bottom