need some help plz

rob_6_9

Jan 31, 2009
i got a 92 rm 250 and just wondering my clutch wont engage
just wondering what could cause this

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
check the freeplay at the lever. IF that is not it, remove the side cover and inspect the clutch.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
First, let's define what you mean by "engage". I say that because this is a common question and it is common that half way through the discussion we discover that the original poster actually meant that it won't disengage fully.

If the clutch won't engage it means that you can't go. You put it in gear, rev the engine up, release the clutch and you just sit there, not moving.

The opposite, and more common, is that you start the bike up in neutral, pull in the clutch, shift to 1st and it dies unless you keep it revved way up, and then it lurches and wants to take off. This is often caused by clutch drag, and yes, it is very dependent on temperature.

Rod

rob_6_9

Jan 31, 2009
sorry then its disengage like i put it in gear and squeeze the clutch and nothing happens its still in gear i never tryed it will its running just bought it dont want to hurt nothing and cost me more cash

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I suspect that it is just "clutch drag". When you squeeze the clutch lever it releases the spring pressure on the clutch plates but they still lightly rub. The clutch plates are also in an oil bath and the oil provides a little bit of coupling between the plates, especially when the oil is cold.

You can try adjusting the clutch cable, which is done up at the handlebar lever, on the "perch". Turn the adjusting screw out.

If you haven't actually tried shifting it with the engine running, go ahead and do that, you won't hurt anything. Hold it at a fast idle, clutch in, then shift to 1st. You might want to hold the rear brake on just in case. If it works like I suspect there will be a "clunk", a slight lurch, and then it will be fine. Note that the bike may not idle well in gear with the clutch pulled in.

If the bike makes a major lurch and ends up stalling the engine then the clutch needs to be worked on. It is possible that the cable is stretched or otherwise damaged and needs to be replaced. About the only other cause would be that the clutch plates have warped (usually from major overheating) and they will need to be replaced.

Rod

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
You might also have a seriously notched clutch basket. If so, time for a new basket.

aaronnaland

Jan 19, 2009
You also might not really have a problem mabey can you just hardely feel it if you run it and change gears. alot of bikes will have just a little little bit of drag. One thing that seems to make that go away if its really little is getting a hydrolic clutch Ive never had the problem but all of my buddies and me have magura hydrolic clutches it makes it way different.

rob_6_9

Jan 31, 2009
right on thanks guys one other quick question when i bought it the guy started it with no 2 cycle oil in it for like 5 secs wich i did not no about but would it hurt it?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
It's not good, but if it was really that short of a time, it probably won't hurt much.

rob_6_9

Jan 31, 2009
like he gave it a couple shots of gas and who much compresion should it have?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
About 150 psi. It should be difficult to kick over.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Like after you have kicked it 10 times your leg is toast.

To get a comparison, take the spark plug out and kick it over. You should be able to kick that all day without tiring your leg out.

gregorious77

Feb 1, 2009
My cluch was like you say yours is, I had a quite badly notched basket. I have filed the notches out and it is now sweet. think you can get away with doing this once or twice but eventually you will need a new basket.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
gregorious77- i am with ya my 92 was wore with "chatter grooves as well" i filed mine she works great
bad thing wiseco,hinson, dont make one for it that i know ,unless someone can cross ref some other models and tell us what will work, factory baskets in some bikes are crapp, my cr500 was shot lol, "i ran the hell out of it though",new factory one
also a synthetic clutch oil might be good for older stuff
hydrolic clutches suck on dirt bikes
try klotz 40:1 that what i use,great oil

aaronnaland

Jan 19, 2009

I beg to differ on the hydrolic clutch i love mine.

rob_6_9

Jan 31, 2009
so you think its just the basket it just bugs me how the guy started it with out mixing oil with out me noing but like i sayd he gave it a shot or two of gas then shut it down it ran for like 5 secs how much compresion should it have on a compresion tester

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…