need some help with the lower triple clamp

jim7411

Nov 24, 2003
I am the trying to get the lower bearing off the steering stem bit I cannot get it loose. I tried to use a cold chisel and a hammer bit that just messed up the bearing. So now the outer cage of the bearing and the bearings are off but the inner race of the bearing will not come off even when I heat it up.
I also tried to press the steering stem out if the lower clamp but it will not budge and I am using a big hydraulic press. I am afraid that I am going to just shatter the lower clamp.
The whole reason I am doing this is that the previous owner sheared of both steering stops and I was going to have them welded up. But the welder wanted me to take off the lower seal so that it didn't melt. I would even consider buying a new set of clamps but they don't come with the steering stem so that leaves me needing to remove the old steering stem from the old clamp. Since I can't get that out I am looking for some insight or suggestions on how to get the bearing race or steering stem off.

trevor9a

Oct 25, 2005
I had the same problem. Ended up taking it to a local shop for $25. They just put it in a vise and hit it really hard and it popped off.

Top Bottom