chris61988kb

Uhhh...
Mar 19, 2007
Ok heres the deal, Ive decided to get a bike this summer. Im 5'4" tall and 115 to 120 pounds. I have never owned a bike in my life but i pick things up REAL FAST, first day i got my car (manual shift) i was out and about driving it fine without stalling ect. so heres the deal, i want a fast bike, its the type of person i am, i like to go fast and i like acceleration and i know if i dont get a beefed up bike for my size im going to learn how to ride it, then a month later im going to want something faster, again its just how i am. So instead of all that im going straight for a fast bike, ill take it easy on it until i get nice at riding it, but once i get good im going to want to be rippin a fast ass bike.

I was looking at cr 85 expert but i think i will get bored with it since its only an 85 and considering ill be riding with rm 125's and kx 125's and some 450 racing qauds.

another i was looking at was the kx100, about the same seat height as the cr 85 but its got a little more juice.

and last on my list that catches my eye is the 150 crf. This has the same relative seat height as the cr and kx but im not sure if a crf 150 is going to be too much power to the point that even if i know how to ride the bike good its still going to pop up on me considering im only 120 pounds.

so Im 5'4" tall, 115 to 120 pounds, i dont care about learning to ride a 2 stroke, i want a bike that has nice acceleration and some nice speed to it, i wana be able to keep up with my buddies riding on their 125's ( they are all around 150 to 175 pounds) and ill be rippin on anything from flat open fields to hilly trails that arent to windy and the hills dont get to steep or ruff.

so i need opinions from you guys, crf 150, cr 85 expert, or kx 100? If you have another bike in mind please share that too.

thanks to all of you that help me out.

chris61988kb

Uhhh...
Mar 19, 2007
1) your physical size: 5 foot 4 inches, 120 lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Very agressive, used to drag race cars, so im all about accel, speed, and pushing whatever im driving hard.
3) what do you plan to ride- woods, fields, with friends or Woods/trails..once i get used to the bike illbe sure to air some jumps but nothing serious.
4) Do you have any riding experience? not on a dirt bike, but i catch onto things quik and im not a ***** about it.
5) Do you think you will race ? no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? oilchange and chains are my limit.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? well i like acceleration and speed and my guess is ill be on paved roads to dirt trails straight rippin the throttle so my guess would be a 2 stroke?
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? yea there are plenty of dealers around me but i plan to buy used possible private sale.
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? lets just say, when i plan to go out on my free time during the day, its gunna be on my bike, even if im going somewhere, im still gunna rip the bike over there haha. so my guess would be 10 hours a week
10) Do you live in California? No, complete opposite of the country, MA
11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion: I wana keep up with my buddies on their 2 stroke 125's, they are around 150 to 175 pounds.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
chris61988kb said:
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? lets just say, when i plan to go out on my free time during the day, its gunna be on my bike, even if im going somewhere, im still gunna rip the bike over there haha. so my guess would be 10 hours a week

How much do you plan on spending for the bike.

But you are just like me.(aggressiveness) Only a little smaller. i would reccomend an 85. But i could say a 125cc 2-stroke. Perhaps a CR125 because it is the shortest. Whihc still may be a bit tall fo you. And yes there is the KX100. Its the miday between a 85 and a 125. it would be perfect for your height and weight. But i dont think it will keep up with the other 125's. go to a honda dealer and sit on a CR125. If it is confortable the i would say find one of those. If its just a little to tall and you can one foot it comfortabley you can shave the seat down about an inch. but if its to tall. Get the KX100.

And the CRF150 would probebley lose in a race agenst a CR85. It will have mor torque. But it wount be as fast. And if all you an do is chans and oil changes then a 4-stroke will be out of the question. They requir alot more maintence than a 2-stroke. So if you have to take it to the dealer or somewhere so they can chck teh valves and clean everything it will cost you alot more money.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
I think we need to add " YOUR AGE" to the questionaire. That way we can factor in growth to our suggestions. For the purposes of this discussion, I will assume your a young man.

Have you ridden your buddies 125's? If you feel confident on a 125/250F for your height, then that's the bike to get. If it feels a bit uncontrolable, look into an 85 big wheel (they can be bored to a 100), a KTM105 (great bike but a bit pricey) or a KX/RM100. A KX/RM100 is a great bike (relately inexpensive) and they definately haul. They have all the features of a full size MX bike in a smaller package. My girlfriend is 5'6" and that's what I got her. She can putt around in the trails and it will scream on the track. Definately a split personality bike. (in a good way)

Go to the dealer and sit on a few bikes to see what fits. Keep in mind, these are new bikes and the suspesion hasn't sagged. They will sit a few inches taller than when broken in. Look at different MX bikes; 85 big wheel, 100 and a 125.

Don't discount a smaller bike. There's nothing cooler than watching an 85 spank 125's and 250's.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
snb73 said:
I think we need to add " YOUR AGE" to the questionaire. That way we can factor in growth to our suggestions. For the purposes of this discussion, I will assume your a young man.

Have you ridden your buddies 125's? If you feel confident on a 125/250F for your height, then that's the bike to get. If it feels a bit uncontrolable, look into an 85 big wheel (they can be bored to a 100), a KTM105 (great bike but a bit pricey) or a KX/RM100. A KX/RM100 is a great bike (relately inexpensive) and they definately haul. They have all the features of a full size MX bike in a smaller package. My girlfriend is 5'6" and that's what I got her. She can putt around in the trails and it will scream on the track. Definately a split personality bike. (in a good way)

Go to the dealer and sit on a few bikes to see what fits. Keep in mind, these are new bikes and the suspesion hasn't sagged. They will sit a few inches taller than when broken in. Look at different MX bikes; 85 big wheel, 100 and a 125.

Don't discount a smaller bike. There's nothing cooler than watching an 85 spank 125's and 250's.

yes, i question his age as well, but he said he used to drag race and he already owns a car, so im guessing 16-18 y/o. i bought my 125 when i was exactly like you, it was and still is a KX. it was a little tricky to get used to, but ive got the hang of it now and can fly on it. especially since your probably in your late teens, an 85 or 100 2T would probably not do you justice, but if you feel comfortable on one, then get it, but id lean more towards the KX100 than any 85 or the CRF150R. a 125 would be your best bet. like i said, i was exactly like you when i bought my 125, i barely even knew how to ride and i was 13 :nod: .

chris61988kb

Uhhh...
Mar 19, 2007
Yea im 18 going on 19 this june. Im going to a kawasaki dealer today to sit on a kx100 and check that out and sit on a 125 and see how it fits. Anyways, from what i thought, the kx100 would spank the cr 85 because its got a bigger engine but from the sounds of some of you guys the cr 85 will spank the kx 100?

Oh and i got around 2000 max. I plan on going used, maybe an 02 or 03 and dont plan on spending 2k but will if the deal is right.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
chris61988kb said:
Yea im 18 going on 19 this june. Im going to a kawasaki dealer today to sit on a kx100 and check that out and sit on a 125 and see how it fits. Anyways, from what i thought, the kx100 would spank the cr 85 because its got a bigger engine but from the sounds of some of you guys the cr 85 will spank the kx 100?

Oh and i got around 2000 max. I plan on going used, maybe an 02 or 03 and dont plan on spending 2k but will if the deal is right.

no the KX100 will beat the CR85, or any 85, but not spank it. its not much different than a 85 expert/big wheel, its a bigger engine, but doesnt put out much more power. the major difference is the seat height. you wont find a brand new KX125 at your local dealer unless its an '05 if theyre not selling well in your area. Kawasaki didnt bring their '06 or '07 KX125 to America, so there might not be a KX125 to sit on. i bought my 00' KX125 for $1400 and it had a fair amount of mods done to it, but i got a good deal. look around cycletrader.com or check out theri mag at most local gas stations, theyve got some great deals.

chris61988kb

Uhhh...
Mar 19, 2007
Well a 125 2 stroke is gunna be to big for me. I sat on a yz 125 and it was too big. So im most likely going to start looking for a kx100. Now im hearing they dont produce much more power than the 85's so what can i do to give the bike some more power? I dont have alot of money to throw stuff on the bike after i buy it so its gotta be pretty cheap? i know you can throw performance exhaust on them and everything but does that really produce a good amoutn of added power?

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
The KX/RM100 has a powervalve so it has usable low end grunt. Perhaps the 100 has simular power as an 85, but it definately has more usable power that comes on sooner. The best mod you can do for that bike is get the correct spring, front and rear, for your weight.

I'm 5'11" and weight 210, my girlfriends 2003RM100 hauls with me on it. It's a little cramped for me, but it jumps pretty good too.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
chris61988kb said:
Well a 125 2 stroke is gunna be to big for me. I sat on a yz 125 and it was too big. So im most likely going to start looking for a kx100. Now im hearing they dont produce much more power than the 85's so what can i do to give the bike some more power? I dont have alot of money to throw stuff on the bike after i buy it so its gotta be pretty cheap? i know you can throw performance exhaust on them and everything but does that really produce a good amoutn of added power?

Well... Im pretty sure the YZ125 is the tallest stock bike. Its taller than the 250's. Try sitting on a CR125. The YZ125 seat height is 39.3", The CR125 seat height is 37.3", And the KX100 seat height is 34.3". The CR125 seat height is 3 inches taller than The KX100. So it might fit you/ how do you sit on the KX100? Flat foot, On the toes, 1 foot, etc? You could always shave the seat down an inch or so, so that would only make the CR125 2 inches taller than the KX100.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
Moparman1539 said:
Well... Im pretty sure the YZ125 is the tallest stock bike. Its taller than the 250's. Try sitting on a CR125. The YZ125 seat height is 39.3", The CR125 seat height is 37.3", And the KX100 seat height is 34.3". The CR125 seat height is 3 inches taller than The KX100. So it might fit you/ how do you sit on the KX100? Flat foot, On the toes, 1 foot, etc? You could always shave the seat down an inch or so, so that would only make the CR125 2 inches taller than the KX100.

the KX125 is 37.2in. and the RM is 37.4in., not much difference between any of the bikes except the YZ. you just so happened to sit on the tallest stock dirt bike in the world( at least from the "Big 5") :yikes: . after a couple of months riding a KX100, youll be going, " :bang: whyd i buy this bike :bang: ". as i stated before, i was 5'4'' and 110-115lbs. when i bought my KX125( and it had mods) with hardly any riding experience :nod: .

chris61988kb

Uhhh...
Mar 19, 2007
So besides shaving the seat down what else can i do to lower the seat height? And wouldnt the seat look crappy after being shaved? I Know you can lower it also by the shocks but i dont want to do that since it takes away distance the shocks can travel.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
chris61988kb said:
So besides shaving the seat down what else can i do to lower the seat height? And wouldnt the seat look crappy after being shaved? I Know you can lower it also by the shocks but i dont want to do that since it takes away distance the shocks can travel.

you could cut the subframe, and yes the seat does look like crap after being shaved.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
If you didnt want to change out shocks or mess with the one on it to make smaller you could get smaller wheels for it... You would have to get a smaller(?) gear for the back of it to make it the same gearing. I dont know how much that would effect riding. But thats the only other thing i have ever herd of lowering a bike without messing with the shocks.

killerkx

Mar 12, 2007
i just turned 20 and have a kx 125... and i can hardly touch the ground on my tippy toes, but i wouldnt have gotten anything smaller.... it already feels under powered to me and ive only had it about a year and a half... im probably going to sell it in the next year or so to go bigger. i would go with the 125... everything else will feel slow once you get used to it.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Moparman1539 said:
How much do you plan on spending for the bike.

But you are just like me.(aggressiveness) Only a little smaller. i would reccomend an 85. But i could say a 125cc 2-stroke. Perhaps a CR125 because it is the shortest. Whihc still may be a bit tall fo you. And yes there is the KX100. Its the miday between a 85 and a 125. it would be perfect for your height and weight. But i dont think it will keep up with the other 125's. go to a honda dealer and sit on a CR125. If it is confortable the i would say find one of those. If its just a little to tall and you can one foot it comfortabley you can shave the seat down about an inch. but if its to tall. Get the KX100.

And the CRF150 would probebley lose in a race agenst a CR85. It will have mor torque. But it wount be as fast. And if all you an do is chans and oil changes then a 4-stroke will be out of the question. They requir alot more maintence than a 2-stroke. So if you have to take it to the dealer or somewhere so they can chck teh valves and clean everything it will cost you alot more money.
Why did they put the 150s in supermni if theyre gonna lose to 85s?

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
150rguy said:
Why did they put the 150s in supermni if theyre gonna lose to 85s?

Moparman1539 said:
And the CRF150 would probebley lose in a race agenst a CR85.

i said PROBEBLEY. Im not positive. But i herd that an 85 would win :nod: .

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Rich Rohrich said:
If the AMA puts them in the same class I think it's going to take an awfully good rider on a two-stroke 85 to outrun this bike.

I read that and thought that the 150 would win. But I dont know anything.

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
With your weight you will have to loosen up the rear spring and that will lower the bike,get a 125 honda! You will not be looking for power,and if you do there is a logical answer for that! 150 guy is getting pretty good at weeding out wrong imformation,how did you like the 4t being more maintenance than a 2t!

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
With your weight you will have to loosen up the rear spring and that will lower the bike,get a 125 honda! You will not be looking for power,and if you do there is a logical answer for that! 150 guy is getting pretty good at weeding out wrong imformation,how did you like the 4t being more maintenance than a 2t!

much more. Rich's thread on the valve maintenance on those time bombs scared me :yikes: . the 150R has the torque, while the 85 has the top-end, take your pick. just dont be scared after the 15 hour valve checks :bang: .

Top Bottom