Need some input.. clutch or tranny issue.

flounder

Oct 20, 2007
Alright so heres the deal. First off let me say that Im not new to bikes and definitely not new to forums. I just wanted to get some input prior to starting to rip into the repair.
So anyway.. I have an 02 yz 250 2 stroke. While riding today, I stopped to clean my goggles and had the bike in neutral.. well I gave it a decent rev to help keep from fouling the plug and it felt like it slipped into gear. It pretty much stalled instantly. Well after I start it back up and take off, I notice that it wouldn’t let me downshift down to 1st.. pretty much sure I started out in second, grabbed a handful of clutch and tried to downshift and the tire locked up instantly with the clutch engaged, I upshift quickly and based on the way its running, it feels like Im in third. I try downshifting again and the same thing happens.. WTF. So I shut her down and evaluate. Bike is now off, I can squeeze the clutch and shift through the gears by rolling the bike but only in one of the gears can I actually roll the bike with the clutch engaged.. all the other gears even with the clutch engaged causes the tire to be locked up. For the one gear I can roll while squeezing the clutch, if I release the clutch, the tire will lock up as well so I know that Im not in neutral. Not sure what is going on now.. so I get back on start her up,, manage to find a gear that will let me at least ride it back to the truck to load it but if I downshift, it locks up.. Feels like I can only start out riding it in 3rd. Also, I cant seem to find neutral anymore.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate.. I have no idea as I wouldn’t think a clutch would act like whats its currently doing. Hell, I almost think its part clutch part tranny.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
You are probably going to have to split the cases. I've heard of a simular problem. It ended up being the case wallowed out where one of the transmission gear shafts rides. You will have to investigate this one thoroughly.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I'd be very interested in seeing what the problem was.
Do check back when you find out...pics would be great.
Love the screen name, btw...LOL

flounder

Oct 20, 2007
Yeah I have no idea... Im just trying to get some ideas prior to cracking it open so I can help save some time and $$.. sounds like Im going to start with the clutch and see if the basket is hosed and or plates are stuck together. From there its going to be tranny and I really dont want to do that.. I want to have this thing back up and running within the next 3 weeks.. ****ty part is Im out of town for work during the week so will only be home on the weekends to work on it. I really dont want to take it to someone due to the $$$

125rmcrazy

Sep 11, 2007
could be clutch basket damage. i had almost the same thing happen to me on my rm. can you start the bike with the clutch disengaged? but when engaged it locks up?

flounder

Oct 20, 2007
Problem is solved.... Turns out the oil port on the axle shaft got clogged and seized the 5th pinion gear to the shaft.

On with the pics.

1Original.jpg

2bikeWsubframeandtankremoved.jpg

3bikewEngineremoved.jpg

4engineInBasement.jpg

cluthwPlatesremoved
5cluthwPlatesremoved.jpg

flounder

Oct 20, 2007
15tearingapartbadshaftandgears.jpg

took about 20tons of pressure to remove this gear (2nd from left, first set of teeth is machined as part of shaft, Basically dead middle of pic... the gear basically welded itself to the shaft.
15-2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Well last night, I tightened the flywheel weight and got her started. Runs just fine. Took her down the alley and clutch worked great and the gears shifted just fine.. Also doesnt appear to be any leaks at this point..
yeeeeaaaaaahhh go me..

THE DIRT BEAST LIVES.. :cool: :laugh: :laugh:
now just to see for how much longer.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Glad you are back in business!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
:cool:

iamdawalru5

Apr 26, 2006
When you say the gear was "welded" does that mean that when it came off of the shaft it was replaced or reused? Also, the last and second to last pics posted... I am a pretty challenged person so tell me if I am right. The second to last gear on the left is the one that was seized? Ill make a diagram of the last 2 pics as best I can.

--------

2nd to last pic--- 1st - 2nd - 3rd

last pic --- 1st - 2nd -------- 3rd(looks like it fits over a lock that fits into the gear to the left of it)

--------

sorry for the 2nd grade approach that I need but I am the most illiterate person you'll meet

I have yet to take my specimen to school and take it apart, and am just trying to get as many details as I can before I get into it.

Thanks for your time

Last edited:
Top Bottom