Need some Mr. Rohrich instinct

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
Getting ready to spend a day with the welder (little Jeff), to finalize mounting locations, for the muffler and airbox. This is on the "long in tooth", project XR300, I just put a custom subframe on.

In locating the airbox, there will be a need for a nearly 25mm spacer, in the intake tract. The XR250/300, has a fairly short intake compared to many other machines. I'm wondering if it would be worth while, to fabricate a longer intake manifold, instead of simply putting a coupler on the back of the carb. I could use a slight deviation in the mounting angle of the carb., and this would also allow me to incorporate that into the new manifold. Is there something to be gained here?

I also am going to be aligning and mounting the muffler. I have alway's like the megaphone design muffler on the small bores. Spark arrestability, is important, and the supertrapp is easy to deal with. Should I be broadening my thinking, being the new subframe can be made to fit anything right now?

I realize these question are very general in nature, as well as being subjective to testing. Would just like to hear from others, and get some input, while things are still in the "soft" stage.

Thank's
Mark

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000

Mark.

IMO, I would be careful changing the length of the intake tract. If you do, you should do it on a dyno. Minor changes here can greatly affect the way your engine will run. It could help, but it could also hurt and without doing a before and after on a dyno, you won't know for sure. If it were my engine I think I would add the spacer behind the carb.

Just my $ .02

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
ochster - That's good advice from Ol89r :thumb:

Keep in mind, what you do on the intake side has repercussions on the exhaust side as well, and cam timing (especially at overlap) is also pretty sensitive to tuned lengths .

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
Thanks, gentlemen.

Nice to have a site, that is deep in "real world" resources, such as DRN. I knew someone would grab me by the ear, and pull me back onto the sidewalk.

How about some opinions on the magaphone vs. straight muffler design?

A little off topic, but how do you highlight someones quote, like OL89r did, in a reply?

Last edited:

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
On our old half mile xs-650 motors we would use pcv pipe for our intake manifold tuning and we could cut it on the spot to get different intake lengths and use a stop watch to see how it would improve or not the performance of the motor. You might consider this, pcv is easy to work with and once you get the right lenth you can duplicate it in aluminum.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by ochster
How about some opinions on the magaphone vs. straight muffler design?

What type of power are you looking to build?

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
The bike will see woods use, the majority of the time. So naturally a healthy bottom to mid, or broad midrange would be prefered. I say that, but I tend to ride in the mid range and up.

Good idea SFO, Thanx's.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
A little off topic, but how do you highlight someones quote, like OL89r did, in a reply?

Press the "quote" button next to anyone's reply and their post will appear in a reply box with the required code already added.

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
Press the "quote" button next to anyone's reply and their post will appear in a reply box with the required code already added.

I "copied and pasted" Vic's quote, into the field of the quote box (that pops up when you hit quote), but mine does not say "quoted by Vic?"

Last edited:
B

biglou

I "copied and pasted" Vic's quote, into the field of the quote box (that pops up when you hit quote), but mine does not say "quoted by Vic?"
Click the button shown, then the "Originnaly Posted By" will show up. It will quote the entire post, but then you can edit out what you don't want by backspacing over it or highlighting and backspacing if it's just a portion of a post you are wanting to quote.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000

Mark.

Just hit the quote button and then delete everything except what you want to be quoted. Then add your text to that. (Never mind, Big Lou just beat me to it. :confused: )

When we were dyno tuning the 750 twin factory dirttrack engines we used somthing similiar to what SFO suggested. On the intake manifolds we had telescoping aluminum tubes. You could move the carbs back and forth while the engine was running on the dyno. Once you found the 'sweet spot' it didn't take much movement in either direction for the power to drop off drastically.

Another method of determining the correct intake length is by watching the fuel vapor blow-back through the carb. When you are close to the correct lengh, you will have minimal blow-back. The further you move the carb back from the correct length, the more blow-back you will see.

In regard to the megaphone. I agree with Rich, it depends on what kind of power you are looking for. I prefer the SuperTrapp set up mostly for the ease of tuning. It's nice to be able to add or remove discs to suit a particular engine and they are a spark arrester for the woods.

Just my $ .02

Last edited:

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
Originally posted by Vic

See if this works!

Thank you gentlemen, you just made my day. I have been trying to figure that out since I joined DRN.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…