Need some news

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Does anyone know of any problems with the Suzuki JR 80. Each bike has its own. Just wondering what this bike had going against or for it. But I was looking at picking up a 02' or 03' since the boy is way to big for his Husky Sr. Hopefully someone out there has one and will pass on some info
Thanks

chillywillyt

Jun 16, 2002
i have friends with ds and jr80's and they seem pretty bullet proof, not as good as the xr and pw's but i guess the jr80 is a detuned rm 80 motor from the 1980's. By the way, nice choice to step up to the line of xr,pw,and js 80's...I think some parents (like me) jump the kids from a 50cc auto to a 65cc war machine and it scares the crap out of kids and there is a lot to learn at once....junior will develop his skills faster on a bike that he isn't afraid of and will enjoy it more...just my two cents

chillywillyt

Jun 16, 2002
oh yeh, take a look at the kx110, basic size of kx65, three speed, and has a lil zippier(if you can call it that) power than the other 80's

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Yeah I was looking at the KLX (well not looking since they we not in yet) but they don't have a clutch. And I want him to start learning the clutch operation. And that is why I am not going the route of a KX or KTM 65. I'll just let him have fun ;) Thanks for the feedback

chillywillyt

Jun 16, 2002
one other bike is the LEM 50...it has a clutch on it...and power delivery is the same as the bikes he/she is on right now, not sure the price of them but i do know that they are taller than the 50cc bikes that he/she is racing right now

rougewarrior

Aug 9, 2002
I just sold my sons 01 JR-80 two weeks ago(for a 03 RM 65) and I can say that it was the best choice for my son to start out on. It was very easy to maintain and ride. VERRRY smooth 2-stroke power with an easy shifting 6-speed. It is perfect for the beg. rider or one moving a cluth bike. There isnt a compareable bike on the market(The xr80 has a clutch but is WAYY to big for an 8-10 year old beginner rider). If you want an easy bike to ride and maintain this is it. The only bad thing is that they do not make any(and I mean NONE) after market parts. You have to get all your levers from Suzuki ( the shifter from an 96 RM fits good). Good luck and hope this helped.

ewbish

Feb 3, 2002
My son learned on a DS80 (same bike as the JR80-diff plastic). If your son is coming off a Husky Sr., the JR80 won't last long. It has a pretty bullet proof engine, but not much power. The suspension is terrible, especially the front which is very prone to breaking/bending the tripple clamp if it is ridden hard. The bike is just about the same speed as a XR80, without the low end torque. It is probably not much faster than that Husky, and the Husky is probably better suspended. I would personally recommend a KX/RM 65 if your kid races, or a XR80/100 if not.
Eric

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…