cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
I'm leaking oil from my front sprocket.....well I'm pouring oil. I leaned my bike against a tree and walked off for about 30 minutes and when I came baxk there was a small puddle of brand new fresh gear saver on the ground....lol... Aftet checking my trusty manual I see there's a sleeve and an o ring seal. What I need to know is what's that seal called ? I'm trying to find one, but don't know what term to search. "Oil seal" just turns up crank and fork seals along with a few complete engine seal kits and "front sprocket seal" turns up nothing. Also, what might cause this ? Just an older bike with old seals ??? Thanks as always !

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
That seal you should be able to get in a normal hardware store which caters for people needing seals. You could get the old one out pretty fast by drilling 2 small holes into the sides of it and with a wood srew you can pull it out. Sure you need to take off some parts first:)

I got my seals in a bag not sorted by size and number so I can not give you the correct measurements, sorry. If you got some problems with a new seal not sealing get a smaller one and change the spring of the seal. Go 1mm smaller should be ok.

Last edited:

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
94 kx 125....sorry my bad.

It's the o-ring that goes behind the sleeve behind the small drive sprocket. I know it probably shouldnt leak under any circumstance, but this is a new bike to me and I put the .77 litre of gear saver in but it completely covers the sightglass.....shouldnt the oil level be halfway across the sighglass ? Could it be overfilled and leaking out as a safety percaution ??? I know they say no question is a stupid question, but somehow I think somebody will beg to differ after reading that one lol ....

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
Oh .... and interesting method for removing the seal, but with my luck I'd drill clean through something important And cause 3 or $400 in damage...seriously lol....that' s just how I roll....

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
They are easy to change. The screw method mentioned above works but you can just pry it out after you slide the inner sleeve off the shaft. Be careful not to scratch the shaft but with some patients you can work a flat blade screwdriver around it to pop it right out.

You’re lucky you don't have a 1982 XR500. My buddy needed to change his but had to split the cases to get to it.

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
Rich, thanks man...perfect ! Seal is orderes and on it's way !

RM Guy, HOLLY SCHNAPP !!!!! Note to self.....consider suicide as an alternative to ever buying an 82 XR500 lol....... Thanks, as always you guys come through !

Top Bottom