need to drop the seat height of a new 220

dmanlyr

May 14, 2002
Well I went out and bought a new 03' 220 to replace my much loved 89' 200. Before I bought it I thought the seat height was way to high, but you know how it is in the showroom.. and after riding for about 30mins I jumped off the new bike and rode my old tired 200 for the rest of the day due to the seat height of the new bike. Not a good start I might say. I wil add that on the track the higher seat high is not a problem.

I have checked with my local Kawi dealer and he informed me that there was no lowering links available? Any ideas on how to lower the seat height about 2" or so to the same as my 200? I wil add that I have very little natural balance so it is not something that I can learn to live with. I absolutly need to put my feet down on the trail. Otherwise I end up taking soil samples!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Fred T has taken one of those turkey carving knifes and cut down the seat foam. He did this on a KDX and a KTM with good results. Check with him for more details and tips for doing this.

- Bill

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Devol makes lowering links. You can cut the seat foam down with an electric knife. I've done the seat foam on both my bikes and it really helps. You can also send the bike to a suspesion tuner and have your suspension lowered. Many options. Don't dispair!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yes, devol makes adjustable length pull rods. BUT...you are only going +/- 1.5mm or so. In the 'longer' setting, the bike drops only about 3/8".

Kouba is an outfit that makes pull rods that will drop the bike further. DO be sure to set your sag correctly after installing aftermarket pull rods. Notice that their idea of 'correct' sag is not the same as 'common knowledge' sag (100mm a good starting point). That's cuz of the effect the rods have on handling of the bike.

..and will lower the rear of the bike approx. 1.125 inches with the KDX1 links, 1.625 inches with the KDX2 links, and 2.25 inches with the KDX3 links.

***edit***
Take a look at the FAQ on the kouba site. Some good points there about increasing pull rod length and how it benefits bike handling. Basically increases the leverage against the shock spring making the bike more pliant over whoops and such. Of course also may make you 'need' a heavier spring due to increased leverage.

Oh..the devol rods REQUIRE KX250 bolts and shims. The bolts are only about $15 each!! (two required). Last I checked, devol left that bit-'o-fact out of their advertising.

Enjoy!

p.s.

It's not so much a matter of 'natural balance' as it is going f-a-s-t enough that inertia works in your favor! Hard(er) to fall down when you're screaming like a proverbial bat-outta! It is much MUCH easier, balance-wise to ride FAST than it is to ride SLOW.

Now then...about that WER damper.....;)

Last edited:

dmanlyr

May 14, 2002
thanks for the info. It is good news. Now all I have to do is something about that generic kawi/suzuki silver frame.. :)

Dan Reed

Feb 5, 2001
d-man,
I'm 5'5" and was planning to carve the seat, make longer dog bones, etc. However when I Lowered the triple clamps 1" and set the rear sag to max recommemded I was pleased to find quite a difference in seat height. Have Fun
Dan

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
I may be interested in doing the same thing. I'm not 5'5, but 5'9 and have a 29" inseam, so the stock 200 I can touch my toes to the ground when standing still, but would be more comfortabel I think to be able to but both feet closer to flat on the ground.

This sounds like the procedure for me... ya think?

fmfkdxrider

Aug 24, 2002
Dave your 5'9 and you have trouble touching the ground. im 5'8 and i have no trouble whatsoever. hmm but if you are not comfortable I say go for it.

Top Bottom