Needed quick help from RM 125 owners (steering stem)

Woo

Mar 1, 2013
Hi everyone,
this winter I am rebuilding my RM 125 2008 and during the reassembly, I faced a problem with steering stem. I installed new all balls bearings (bearing races are seated properly for sure) and when I reassembled the steering stem I noticed that the bearing tension nut doesn't have enough threads to thread on and same problem with the top nut. The pictures below will make it more clear what I am talking about. The steering stem shaft doesn't stick out enough from the frame.

Base of the stem is not flush with the bottom triple, stem protrudes about 1-2 mm.

Could you guys please check on RM's to see how the top nut looks? Is it flush with the stem or does the stem stick out from the nut? And is the base of the stem flush with the bottom of the lower triple?

Woo

Mar 1, 2013
I don't get it, I am not allowed to insert images, some spam killer doesn't allow to put links..

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Don't have an RM but, are you sure your outer bearing races are seated all the way down into the head piece? If they are not properly seated, that could cause your problem. If they are seated, compare the new bearings with the old ones to see if they are the same.

Woo

Mar 1, 2013
100% sure they are fully seated in the frame, hammered them twice. New bearings are only about 0,5mm wider so that couldn't cause this. Well, maybe everything is normal but to prove that I would like someone to look on their 04-08 rm

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
You did get the old pressed-on bearing race off of the lower clamps stem?

Top Bottom