wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I have to order a 40 pilot and that should (hopefully) finish my jetting adventure. Since I have to order the jet anyway...

Can anyone make a good recommendation for a new needle? I'm using the stock needle right now, and it looks like my jetting will end up with 152 Main, 40 Pilot, needle in 3rd clip, AS=1 turn out.

I've read that the right needle can really change performance, even give a stronger "hit" than the stock needle does.

I suspect there is no "right" recommendation and that the optimal needle is based on a lot of things; what do you run in your bike?

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
CEK when I want the MX hit
BEM for woods & tight single track
DEK & DCK to be tried in the future (also more tractability)

This has worked well on a number of bikes with an aftermarket pipe & R&B carb mod

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Is this for a 200 or 220?

I'm using a CEL on my 200 (see signature for mods). Keep in mind that the air temps have really come down, resulting in richer jetting. Come spring/summer you'll have to lean the jetting out. A needle that works well now may not work well in warmer, more humid air.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
It's for a 200.

The CEK is choice more often than not with the #7TV of the RB carb, CEL for the #5TV of the oem pwk.

re: 'I suspect there is no "right" recommendation..'

Exactly! The needle is the most responsible for the 'personality' profile of your bike. So.....what do you want?

JimC sums it up. Do keep in mind his carb is modified.....so you really only have one choice if you follow his needle recs: Get your carb modified. ;)

There is a recent thread of yet another RB-mod'er that thinks it's a great thing. CDave lists it as one of the best.

Yeah. I'm harping. When something works, it's just plain obvious to harp about it! Except for rejetting (making what you have work the best it can) and maybe a pipe (pick your profile there, too) the rb mod is (imo) the single best 'moh go' mod you can make.

......or just buy an airstryker with the mod in it. Yeah....I'm harping about THAT, too! ;)

Just tryin' to share the joy!

Yes. Richer jetting requirements come with cooler weather.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
CC is right (good memory), it is for my '03 200.

Without doing a search on RB carb mod, how much does that go for? Ballpark estimate is good enough for now.

I had thought about buying a $65 #6TV from Sudco to help with my carb situation, but I will keep playing with the jetting/needle and see if that gets me "there".

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yes, I am right.

No, it has nothing to do with remembering anything (if it did, I'd be wrong sure-as-%$#).

It's listed in your profile! ;)

Check with rb-designs (ron) to be sure. Last price I think I remember (uh-oh!) was $165. Another uh-oh (having to do with remembery)...I believe he will cut your slide for $45. Obviously if he cuts your #5 slide to a #6..you don't have your #5 anymore.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
canyn do you run a modified airstriker? if so what tv, needle and jets were in it when you got it from rb designs? just curious i bought an airstriker that im going to send to rb for the mod. it came with 48, 160, 4.5 tv and a dek needle.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yes.

I don't recall the jet set out of the box for sure.

Currently along the lines of: 38/40/42-148/150/152-#7TV-DEK/4

Ron has done dyno tests that show the out-of-the-box airstryker to lose 4-5 hp. That's not on a stock kdx. Still a big hit AND in the wrong direction!

A btw, but you could get the carb already done from ron in the first place. Would save you time, shipping from the carb source, to ron and back again.

You need to use the (or 'a') oem pwk cap. No room in the kdx for a straight cap.

Houndog

~SPONSOR~
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by canyncarvr
Ron has done dyno tests that show the out-of-the-box airstryker to lose 4-5 hp. That's not on a stock kdx. Still a big hit AND in the wrong direction!

Was the dyno test between a stock Air Stryker and a RB PWK?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
My guess would be yes. In fact, I do not know.

For all I know he indeed tested it against an oem pwk, but I'd think he'd be more interested in finding if the airstryker was an improvement over work he'd already done.

That's the way I'd do it, anyway.

Top Bottom