neoprene covers protect fork seals/wipers?

bizzow

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2000
I've seen these neoprene(?) style fork seal/wiper protectors for sale from various companies. There is also one that covers the entire shock body. Do these function to really protect the seals?

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
They work well for me. I do take them off occassionally and clean under and around them real good though. If you do this, they will provide good protection from sand, etc, in your seals. If you dont keep them clean, they will just hold the sand in place and it will make its way into your seals. With a little routine maintenance, they do the job exceptionally well.

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
I use them on my XR600 and Ktm300. My KTM forks are the 50mm conventionals and prone to going through seals. I'm on the same seals after more than a year.

bizzow

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2000
Dan S,

A buddy of mine would have liked these things. He had a KTM 360 and I seem to remember him going through a few seals, even though I think that bike had conventional marzocchis. Go figure, maybe it was a 1990's KTM curse. Or maybe it was because he's the size of the larger NFL linemen.

J3R

Apr 29, 2002
Sorry to butt in, but did you find them online if so what site? I have been looking for something to replace my ugly aquamarine colored shock boots

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
try www.sealsavers.com we have them. We don't ride in the sand too much but they really help keep the crap out of the seals. I would end up taking the wipers out almost every other ride and cleaning crap out of them. With the seal savers I only tear them down once a season.

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
I got the full length ones from Scott Summers www.srcinc.com I used one pair cut in half for both bikes since they are full length. The only down side is you have to take the forks off to get them on. The seal savers would be better for USD forks since they have a seam that attaches with velcro. I will say that I've never had any dust or dirt get to seals under the neoprene even after several 80 mile desert races.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I had the ones with the velcro (holeshot racing) and that was the part that eventually wore out, necessitating replacement. I have since gone with the full length ones from Summers racing ($35). I was able to cut one of the full length wipers in two and use those, leaving me another full set for spares. I also didnt like the large lettering (free)\ advertising on the sealsavers. If I had conventionals, I would just use the rubber booties (aka-kdx) and be a happy man.

4banger

Jul 2, 2000
I have the ones from holeshot. I am really happy with them. Easy to put on, clean and remove. They definetly extend the life of the seals on my 01 250exc.

Top Bottom