ghbyram

Jun 18, 2003
Well, I'm new around here and just wanted to share my bitter-sweet day that I had today. Picked up an '03 KDX200 ... my first motorcycle ... period. I always wanted a dirtbike when I was a kid ... at 32, finally got it. I rode friends' bikes many years ago but even then not a lot ... so I'm basically green as can be.

Haven't ridden it yet but have kicked it over a few times ... scared the bejeezus out of my daughters the first time it fired up. I've read this site a bit over the past few days and am chomping at the bit to get the prep work done ... I was a bit PISSED when the guy at the dealer today said he couldn't find any manuals!!!! ... so there she sits. May have to take her around the cul-de-sac tomorrow just to say I've ridden it but I don't want to do to much before I get her prep'd.

I live in NW Houston/Tomball/Willowbrook area (Texas). I am hoping to do my prep work next Saturday (if owner's and shop manual's arrive by Friday and then do my break-in riding on Sunday ... probably out at Sam Houston National Forest (I'm assuming that's a good place?). Any you guys from this area that could recommend a good mostly open and boring area to do break in riding (breaking in the bike and me that is)?

Anyways ... I'm the lurking type but may make myself a pest from time-to-time ... but will try to keep the dumb questions to a minimum and use the archives as much as possible.

Looking forward to learning a lot and having some fun!
Grady

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Sorry to hear about the manuals. But Im sure youll soon see you will be happy with the choice. As you said it would be a good idea to go over everything twice. If you take in some of the info here and on www.justkdx.com im sure you will find even more hidden potential just lurking under those green plastics.....ENJOY.......

ghbyram

Jun 18, 2003
Other than providing the bike at a good price ... this dealer was pretty useless. This dealer is converting to a Harley/Buell dealer and selling all remaining kawasakis at invoice. The sales guy asked one of the mechanics about break in. He responded: "It's a two-stroke, man, ride it like you stole it ... it's going to need a new top-end eventually anyways".

Not exactly my way of doing things ... so I'll be patient and wait til I get my manuals. The justKDX site has given me a few things to do until then anyways.

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
ghbyram,I guess you are going to grease the linkage and steering stem bearings right off.I have greased my linkage but haven't done the steering stem yet.Doing the stem might be a PITA but I have to do it soon;probably this week.By the way,what was the invoice price on the KDX200.My brother in law wants one and having that info would be very useful on price negotiations. :)

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
If they are dumping the Kawasaki as a product they are carrying, ask for the factory shop manuals they have from the mechanics. You might get them free since they couldn't provide the owner's manual.

MDA

May 27, 2002
Congratulatioins on your new ride.

I know how it feels. My KDX is my first dirt bike ever. I've always wanted one since I could walk. My mother would never allow it, so I promissed myself that I would get one once I got a job. I guess I am too resoponsible because it took me five years after I started working to get one.

No regrets though, I love my bike. Enjoy it, its a rush. Since its your first bike ever, take your time learning how the bike behaves. Despite assurances that the KDX is tame, it can still get you in a world of hurt if you aren't ready for it and grab a handfull of throttle. Its a great bike to learn on, but it always deserves respect.

Ride safe,
-Mark-

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Grady,

Welcome to the land of KDXs.  Don't be afraid to ask questionss.  This forum is better than a manual because it's interactive.  Having said that, be sure to get the factory service manual if you can.  I have one, and it's great.  Costs like $25 bucks.

My first bike, a Husky, came from Willowbrook Yamaha.  That dealership is long gone, by the way.  Sam Houston National Forest is a great place to get started as long as you are somewhat confident on your bike.  Those were the first trails that I ever rode on back in '86.  The east side trail head is were we did most of our riding.  What you'll find around there isn't too tight or technical.  You will have to become comfortable in sand and whoops.

Personally, I think the stock KDX tires are garbage, but on both of the KDXs that I've purchased, I've ridden with those tires until they were somewhat worn.  When it's time to replace them, you'll want to get a quality soft terrain or int. tire.  I used to run Dunlop D752s like the rest of the world, but then I switched to Michelin S-12s front and rear.   A bunch of people like the M12, but I've never had one yet.

You might want to try and hook up with the Trail Riders of Houston.  They are a great club and put on a bunch of different types of events.  They do a dual-sport ride, a hare scramble or two, a National Enduro, and a family enduro.  They have meetings on a regular basis and do club trail rides.  Meeting them will give you a network of people to ride with, and I'm sure they could use another able body who's willing to do a little trail work and help with events.

Good luck!

instin

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2002
You can get a manual. I just got my 2003 manual from my locaL dealer. I called all the locals and got the same thing "Sorry not available yet". Went to the Kawasaki website and only the 2002 listed. I called Kawasaki and they said they have them in the warehouse and he gave me the part #s and my dealer ordered it. Call Kawasaki and get the part numbers and don't forget to order the supplemental.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
CDave's site is indeed a great source of information on bike prep and such.

but 'www.justkdx.com' won't get you there.

THIS WILL

Bookmark it when you get there.

You don't mention riding gear. 'Dress for the crash' is good advice.

IF you consider go riding without the basics..boots, chest protector, gloves, helmet...consider how happy those daughters of yours will be to have you come back safe and sound!

Happy trails!

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Originally posted by Timr
Grady,

Personally, I think the stock KDX tires are garbage, but on both of the KDXs that I've purchased, I've ridden with those tires until they were somewhat worn.  When it's time to replace them, you'll want to get a quality soft terrain or int. tire.  I used to run Dunlop D752s like the rest of the world, but then I switched to Michelin S-12s front and rear.   A bunch of people like the M12, but I've never had one yet. 

I was just wondering if anyone else thought that. I have just lately had the opportunity to ride on a track (a few trail rides before this is all) with the KDX. I was very disappointed in the rear tire as it will not hold a line on moderatly aggressive flat corners but breaaks loose almost every time. I even fired up the old ZYWR to see if I was goofy (the jury is still out on the goofy issue) and it tracked well and didn't break loose. It looks like I'll be buying some tires.

Thanks for the info

Kevin

Last edited:

Malcolm M

May 22, 2003
I realize this is completely unsolicited advice, but if you're as green as I was when I started I suggest that you don't head into the hills alone. Riding in an open area, breaking in the bike, figuring out the whole riding thing is one deal. But as mentioned above, it's shocking how quickly the bike can get ahead of you when you're learning. Factor in roots, rocks & hills and it's a recipe for a bad day.

If you've an experienced rider to go with you'll find it 10 times more fun anyway.

Enjoy the sport!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The oem tires are likely to be well sufficient for '...as green as I can be.'

Nothing wrong with using them during a learning process. He'll 'learn' about tires, too!

A rider with prior experience probably has a mind already set on what is 'best', and what comes on the kdx isn't going to be it.

Asking which tire is best is akin to asking which oil is best. My opinion won't agree with some others...but they don't ride my bike where I ride it, the way I ride with it.

re: 'recipe for a bad day'

No truer words spoken. It takes a fraction of a second for it to happen, too. It's easy to twist that throttle just 'cuz you can! It's also stupid. Every ride I see (usually) kids in t-shirts and sneakers on 250cc time bombs. Even if they're the best, that doesn't factor in some other idiot running into them or in some other way adding to the 'recipe'. Being a 'good' rider doesn't preclude the need for protective gear.

I understand ghbyram's anticipation and excitement. It's his juxtapostion of 'new bike' and 'daughters' that puts the issue in focus from my pov.

You've got to consider that anyone willing to ride 40-50mph over rocks the size of various melons, ruts and roots; thru trees inches from his head is kind of nuts anyway. No sense in tempting fate.

imo and all that junk.

ghbyram

Jun 18, 2003
Thanks for the messages of encouragement!!! I'll be taking it VERY easy while I get into the swing of things. Definately interested in hooking up with other riders. What's the point of making a fool out of yourself if noone else is there to laugh at you. :)

I'll keep an eye on the tires ... the reason I chose the KDX is for it's tinker-factor which should present an immense number of learning opportunities . I'm looking forward to learning about tires, carbs, pipes, chains, suspension, clutches, spoke wrenches, carb jets, reeds, redoing top ends ...

Service manual is on order from www.repairmanual.com. Hopefully get it this week.

As far as gear ... I'm picked up a helmet , boots and gloves. No chest protector or fancy pants or jersey yet ... still looking at what my options are there. oh ... and I've got some old ski goggles that'll serve the purpose for now.

Thanks again for the responses.

IRISHCOFFEE

Aug 3, 2002
Timr gave some great advice. ask around to get in touch with the trail riders of houston. you will have great support and many new best friends. the people part of this sport is the best part.

KDXTrreme

Oct 31, 2001
1 thing to make sure and do before you get on the bike and ride it anywhere but your street... I know this will be a total pain in the butt BUT... You MUST dissassemble the rear linkage/swingarm and grease all the bearings in there. There will be 3 sets of 2 bearings for the swingarm and 2 sets of 2 bearings and a lower shock single bearing for the rocker arm. I've seen KDXs come off the showroom floor with absolutley NO GREASE on these bearings, maybe just some wax from the factory but definitley NOT ENOUGH. I promise you, it will be MUCH easier to do this 1st thing, while things are still clean.. If you don't, I guarantee you will spend at least $150 on a complete new set of 11 bearings for your rear linkages, not to mention it takes ALOT of time to do this repair, especially your 1st time. If it sounds like I'm speaking from experience that's because I am.. I can't tell you how bad doing this repair sucked for me and my pocketbook, not to mention the week and a half I couldn't ride (disassembly/part order delay/wrong part/reassembly/messed up bearing/reorder/delay/reassembly). I just don't want this to happen to anyone else. Oh, grease the steering stem bearings too, it's not as critical as the linkages but do it before you put too many miles on the bike.

OK, enough negative stuff!! You're gonna love your new KDX! I love mine, they're a blast to ride and they're easy to maintain. Oh, for tires, I like Maxxis intermediate terrain. I ride GNCC and Motocross and they perform well in both situations, exept mud, then go with Maxxis soft terrain of course :)

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Congratulations!! I bought a slightly used '90 kdx200 a year ago and I love it! I rode quads for years and when I jumped on my buddy's '00 kdx220, I was in HEAVEN! Sold both quads and put $2k into the kdx. $1k was for the bike and the rest went for suspension rebuild, tires and riding gear! Do not skimp on the riding gear! I spent $300 (what a birthday present from my wife) on a pair of SIDI boots and I love them! The only suggestion I can think of is to adjust your suspension to fit you. This may not be an issue until yuor more comfortable on the bike. But, if you do not fit the 5'6" - 5'8", 160 - 180lbs. that the bike seems to be designed for, having a bike shop retune the suspension will make a big difference to your enjoyment. Good luck, have fun and maybe you can get the rest of the family to join in too.

Bill

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
I'll add another item to the list of must have safety gear (IMHO). Knee protection. All it takes is one little, stupid low speed tipover and guess what is going to hit first! Your knee!! I had one of these on my trials bike last Weds. It hurt like all git out even with the Moose knee protection. But they probably saved me a trip to the E-Room!!

Tom

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
ghbyram:

I hope you get the point. I originally listed just the simple stuff. Obviously there is tons more 'stuff' that would work well. I would have knees today (well, one anyway) if I'd had my asterisk braces to start with. No-one wants to hear, 'You gotta spend $550 on knee braces right now!' when they buy a new bike.

The point of littering this thread with one more post is hopefully to get you to take note!! I hope you do.

Being dramatic isn't the point. I do know that without the gear I DO wear (and by far most riders don't) I'd be absolutely stone-cold-dead by now. I'm not talking about some discomfort...some road rash...some temporary rehab time. I mean dead as in not here anymore.

Listen up, please!

Riding is a blast!! It will be much more fun to ride 'next' weekend (whichever weekend that is) if you don't either kill yourself or put yourself out of action for a few months 'this' weekend.

Cheers!

ghbyram

Jun 18, 2003
I hear you loud and clear.

By stating: "still looking at what my options are there" in regards to gear ... I meant looking at what is available in the marketplace + reviews/input from places like this, etc. ... basically being an educated consumer.

Should not be interpreted as if I'm assessing if certain gear is optional or not. ;o)

Thanks again!

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I agree though I hate to preach. I have gotten hurt more often going less then 30 MPH then when going flat out. Like when I was arroung 15 or so I was doing willys on the road and went over, I was in 2nd or maybe 3rd but I put about a 50 cent piece size hole in my helmet when it hit the pavement.

OK I'm off my soapbox now :silly:

Kevin

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
Grady,

I've got an 03 KDX and I love it. I've got an 03 manual I can copy and send you if you will give me your address. Beyond that, Fred T's thread at the top of this forum will lead you to the break in process. However, if you're like the rest of us, you're ready to ride ASAP. Here's what I recommend before heading out.

1) run the bike 15 minutes at moderate RPMs (no lugging and no screaming), let it cool and repeat this process 4 times. I would change oil after this process and the first few times you ride, as tiny metal shavings will be in the oil during the break in process (this is normal).

2)grease the swing arm bearings and the rear shock bearings (my 03 swing arm bearings did not have one drop of grease)

You should be OK to ride at this point, but get to #3 below ASAP and don't pressure wash the steering head area until you get it greased.

3)ASAP, grease the steering head bearings (or get someone to do it).

4)check nuts and bolts periodically for tightness (although Kawasaki did a good job of putting lock tight on all of my nuts and bolts)

Have fun and e-mail me at jwoods100@jam.rr.com if you need a copy of my 03 manual.

Have fun and congratulations!!

John

riverz

Jun 25, 2003
Originally posted by kmccune

I was just wondering if anyone else thought that. I have just lately had the opportunity to ride on a track (a few trail rides before this is all) with the KDX. I was very disappointed in the rear tire as it will not hold a line on moderatly aggressive flat corners but breaaks loose almost every time. I even fired up the old ZYWR to see if I was goofy (the jury is still out on the goofy issue) and it tracked well and didn't break loose. It looks like I'll be buying some tires.

Kevin

I found that as well. I put Kendas on the back and front and they made a huge difference. They grab just about anything.

Top Bottom