lpalmer80

Jul 28, 2009
1st- what is the switch on the front left side of the engine? Looks similar to a fuel cutoff.

2nd- should i have a mikuni carb or a kehnin? I have the later.

3rd- why does my engine stall sometimes (mainly when cold) when i shift into gear?

4th- It doesnt idle very good after i shutoff the choke but if you take up the slack in the throttle it will smooth out, normal???

5th- can you shift gears without using clutch (seen on another thread and made me wonder)???

6th- how much oil should be in the gear box?

RM250_sutton

Jul 19, 2009
#1: no clue sounds like the the fuel cutoff
#2: i have the kehnin but either should work
#3:just hold in the clutch and give it 1/4 throttle when switching into 1st
#4:clean your carb
#5:you can but it is NOT good. will kill your engine over time (known as the powershift)
#6:my RM250 takes 750ml. but just type in your bike name and look it up on google if n manual.

hope i helped.

BTW its 2 stroke not s smoke lol

upstateny

Mar 16, 2009
1. Petcock? Comes out of the gas tank?
2. Dont matter..both are good..
3. 2 strokes like to have the throttle given to them. And if you cant do it, have someone check your jetting.
4. clean your carb
5. Carefully...yes...in a pinch..yes...all the time..NO
6. SHould be marked someplace on the side of the case.

Please post what bike this is. So others can be more helpful.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
It's mandatory you tell us what type of bike it is.
If Suzuki, the petcock looking thing may be the powervalve adjuster. You will find a manual for your make, model and year of bike extremely useful.

lpalmer80

Jul 28, 2009
it is a 99 rm 125 . the petcock looking thing is the powervalve spring adjuster. thanks for the help.

i never thought that a 125 would run as hard as it does with me (not a small guy 6'1'' 250) on it. FUN FUN FUN!!! :laugh:

going to try and figure out the jetting. i repacked the silencer and it was SPOOGED up bad. weighed twice as much before repacking. that should help it run better right?

when you change oil in the gear box what should i look for to give me an idea about problems internally i may be having before they get serious?

upstateny

Mar 16, 2009
lpalmer80 said:
when you change oil in the gear box what should i look for to give me an idea about problems internally i may be having before they get serious?

The drain plug is magnetic...any really big pieces of metal probably means :bang:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
First of all, get a manual. For jetting use this guide: http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=42618
The bike stalls when you put into gear for one or both of two reasons.
1. The gear oil is to thick(too cold or too heavy of a weight)
2. The clutch basket is notched.
There are a number of threads covering this topic and the fix is usually simple and cheap. I run ATF type F in my tranny, cheap stuff and change it often. I have had ZERO problems and it it shifts cleanly with or without using the clutch. As for the oil level, I dump a whole quart in mine. If any blows out no big deal. I change it very frequently so I don't worry about it.
BTW, USE whatever gear oil you choose. This thread is NOT an oil debate so if you don't like what I use fine, use whatever your wallet lets you afford. I "choose" not to spend $8/quart for synthetic that I'll drain out after a 2-3 hour ride.

lpalmer80

Jul 28, 2009
might try the atf at next change.

manual is currently being located. factory??? or aftermarket?

would a faint smell of gas/oil mix in the gearbox be normal?

Top Bottom