evil1now

Apr 7, 2006
Hi all
I bought this bike for my son about 2 months ago..
Have not had much time to get him out ..
But the last 2 weeks work has giving me some time so we have been at it.

He is 7 years old just moved him from a lem r3 to the kx65..
He is about 60 pounds.

Problems he has told me..
Needs more push out of the turns to keep up with the ktm..
Also wants the bike to sit a little lower so he can touch..
As of now he can lean over to 1 side and touch but that is about it.

For the corners
I want to get a new Sprocket Kit for the bike I think this will help with the corners .. As the power band seams to hit later unlike the ktm..
Which kit would be the best for him with a chain? I believe 47 is the stock on this bike.

Ride height..
Ok this one I have no clue I have seen other kids the same height as him that are able to touch..
Is there a quick fix for this.. Or do I need to change out the springs?

I also need to change ALL the fluids and wanted to no what would be the best for the bike ...

Any help would be appreciated..
Any little tweaks or tricks any one has Learned would be great..

Thanks,
Big-j

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Have him go into the turns a gear lower and use the clutch.

evil1now

Apr 7, 2006
Yes i have tried this ..
Lol you no how that goes
He is still trying to figure out the clutch,,.

I listen to the bike and it sounds like he is in the correct gear..
But still need to get him to feather the clucth ..

Was not sure if a Sprocket Kit would help him for now..

Well going to El Mirage this weekend so i will have alot of time to work on this with him..

And ideas on the height...

Thanks..

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I would stay away from a larger rear sprocket as it will make the transition to the power-band even more violent.

How is the jetting on the bike? Is it bogging at large throttle openings at low RPM? Try raising the clip one position to see if this helps.

Regarding lowering the bike...kids grow, it wont be a problem in 3 months :) If he can get one foot on the ground and kick it over, he's the right height.

Seriously though, have you checked the sag at the rear? There should be about 3.125" of sag at the rear. I wouldn't recommend raising the forks in the clamps more than a few millimeters; the KX65 is already a bit squirrely with the forks set at the base of the nut.

evil1now

Apr 7, 2006
power is not the issue i think he wants more to be honest..
He has no problem putting the bike to the limit..

It is pretty scary for me to see how much he is on the gas..
The bike bogs when he comes out of a turn it will be about 1 sec later the power band will kick in..
He will catch up to the other bikes but then the next turn he plays catch up..

I will get some video this weekend and post it ..

So maybe you can see what i am talking about..

I dont no how to explain it..
The bike just sounds like it has no power just like it was the wrong gear..
But i dont think that is the case...
Maybe after this weekend this problem will be resloved ..
This is only his 3rd week riding the bike..

He asked me for more i did not tell him...LOL

also does he need to have so much speed like 6th gear ..
because he does go full torke in 6th gear not on a track but in the dez and other trail rides..
little scary for me but he loves it...

Hope this helps some what...

Thanks Again for the help

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Try going to a 12 tooth front gear, you will get a better drive out of the corners. It sounds like you are racing it, so ground contact isn't really that important, but you didn't mention your son's height. My son is 4'2" and 55 lbs. Last year we used blocks at the gate.
The clutch takes a lot of practice, and he will get used to the hit. If you want a boost, find a local pro to give him a couple hours of training. I have one in my area that gives private lessons for $30 per hour.
Fluids-I use BelRay 75wt in the tranny, ProCircircuit PC01 in the forks, and Motul 800 in the gas.

Do be patient, it took my boy about a year to transition between his PW50 and the KX65. He has outrun KTM's on the Kawi, and been smoked by other KX's, it's more rider than bike. My son has ridden two KTM 65's, the first was a mod bike bored out to 74cc, after that ride he really wanted one. A few months later he rode his friends stocker, and no longer wants any part of it. His biggest complaint was the clutch feel.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
For the ride height - of course, set the sag for his weight. You might not have enough sag right now. That will lower the back end some. Also, you can raise the forks in the triple clamp. But the offset to this could be some headshake if the clamps are too low. Another alternative is shaving some seat foam. I shave about 3/4" off of all of my seats.

If you want more out of the turns, more power, quicker, try a bigger rear sprocket. 1-2 teeth should make a difference. He might find that this will also cause him to have to shift through the gears more, or he might be able to ride a gear higher, like go through more turns in third instead of second.

evil1now

Apr 7, 2006
Thanks to every one
This is great info and i cant wait to get to the dez now..
I will go pick up a new rear setup so i dont have to swicth the sprokets out just the whole rim/tire much easier...

not to sure on his height >> but the other day i got him to lean it over and kick it..
He will have to start on blocks i no that for sure...

Thanks again..

evil1now

Apr 7, 2006
Not to sure if i should start a new thred
But for now i will post it here..

I just changed out all the fluids..

Put Maxima 85wt in the tranny becasue we will be on long rides this weekend
Used Engine Ice for coolant
Now what i did was drain all old coolant and oil out..
Filled oil with new
Same with coolant let the bike heat up.
Drained the coolant filled again..
Now The biks gets hot very quick..
Is there something i missed when filling the coolant...

Thanks again...

Mar 1, 2005
did you bleed the air out of the radiators? when you drain the system and refill it,air gets trapped in there and if you dont get it out the bike can overheat much like you are describing.if you didnt bleed it heres an easy way to do it:fill the radiator then leave the cap off,lean the bike to one side and hold it there for a second,bring it back upright then repeat.as you are doing this you will notice the coolent level dropping as the air is being forced out of the system.once the level stops dropping fill up again if need be then run the bike for awhile and check your level again just to be on the safe side.

evil1now

Apr 7, 2006
Thanks again..
I did do this and still seams to heat up fast..
i will try this again to see if any air comes up...

Hope so....
Lol

Now where leaving thursday...

Cant wait
Just went and bought a 2006 kx250f along with the new tire and sprocket kit for the 65,,
Guess that is what happens when you send me to my toy store..

Cant wait to the wife hears about this one..

Ya baby

Thanks again to all...

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
To lower the 65 you just put in longer link arms and set the fork tubes higher in the triple clamps. The link arms are commonly called "dog bones" you can buy KUBA? links for about $45.00. I made 'em myself in about 1/2 an hour. I think stock links are 86mm. For each 1mm in length, the bike is lowered 2mm. Be careful about how far you go down with it, I lowered my son's by two inches and the silencer would hit the rear brake caliper on hard landings. You're supposed to stiffen the preload when you lower the bike, however I think two inches is pushing the envelope especially considering that the front end doesn't that much adjustment.

BTW - Go to
http://www.teamgreennews.ca/techside.html
for loads of info. Don't fret about the year model, they haven't changed the bike lately.
:cool:

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
evil1now said:
Thanks again..
I did do this and still seams to heat up fast..
i will try this again to see if any air comes up...
There's a bleeder screw on top of the cylinder head to get the air out. Darker color than the head bolts with a "phillips" type cross on the top.
You should order a shop manual. I think they're about $35.00.

GhostRider32

Feb 10, 2004
E1Now,

My sons next bike will probably be the KX65. He's 4 1/2 now and riding the wheels off the little KDX50. He likes a year or 2 before I get him one but I can't wait. I think the wait is harder on the dad than the kid........ anyway, have fun on your new bike and enjoy riding with your son.

sscheller69

Jul 28, 2007
Picking up a leftover 06 kx 65 for my 7 year old. he raced a ktm 50 and is ready to move on. he is 4' 4", 65 lbs and can't touch. I plan on using a 1.5 inch lowering link, lowering the front by 3/4" and setting the sag around 3.1. what setting should the rebound be and how do you shave the seat, I am buying a used one on **** and replacing the cover with a gripper but how do you shave the foam?

Thanks,

Steve

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
My son is the same size, no lowering, no shaving of the seat, he can touch. You can just use starting blocks.

I have the front clicker at 2, the rear 1.5 out. The preload spring is all the way to the top, because he doesn't really weigh enough, sag ended up being 67mm (was shooting for 70, so it's close enough). I run 10wt fork oil at 120mm but 130 might better suit your child.

ih8opec

Apr 3, 2007
my son also has a kx65 his manual says to use 10-40 oil in the tranny what's up with the gear oil you guy's are talking about here am I missing something?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom