300bav

Nov 14, 2003
I sold my 520 exe a few months ago and I am interested in a 300. I sold the 520 because of the type of riding down here in alabama is mostly tight woods. Do you think the 300 exe would be a good move? Also I was looking for a used one untill I spoke with the dealer and he said everything is changed on the 04's. I have never owned a 2 stroke. Should I look for a used one or just get the 04? Thanks for any information.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Yes, I recomend a 300. If you haven't rode a 2 stroke in a while I thing you'll have fun. The 300 has bunches o' torque and pro'ly more top end than your 520. Every company says they change lots of things every year to get you to buy a brand new one. I'd look for a nice used one thats fairly new(1998 and up if possible).

Good luck.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Boy, I dont know Bav - what are you trying to accomplish? 2 stroker is correct in his analyses but is that what you are looking for? I have ridden both and can tell you that the 520 is WAY more electric in its delivery then the 300, the 300 is AWESOME FAST but if your not good on throttle control you can get into trouble (simular to my K5). I might be reading between the lines but arent you wanting to downsize for tight woods control?? If so, and if you want a KTM take a look at the 250RFS or 250EXC, if not KTM then maybe a WR/YZF250 or the new CRF250 .. To be honest with you, I would REALLY like to ride one of the new 125SX's for the same application you speak of. I have read some VERY positive things about this little 42 horse bike!!
Woodsy

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I'd try to stick to a trails bike in the woods unless you plan to race(on track) too. The KTM EXC's are pretty good on the track if you just play around. If you don't like the 300 theres the 200(I recomend highly) and 250 and even a 380(if you want more speed). If you don't want a KTM(lot o' money) the KDX is awesome but not a bike to race. Yes it will jump but it is a trail bike meant for trails. I think KTM's prove to be more versitile but there's lots of hop up potential in a KDX. If you feel you want to stick to a 4 stroke a WR or a bike that han't even came out yet, a CRF250X would be alright. You've conqered the 520 so you're open to a wide selection of bikes.

Creeper9

~SPONSOR~
Oct 28, 1999
bav,

I ride some tight trails up here in michigan on a 03 250exc. Most likely the same type of thing you ride. Two of the guys I ride with have 300s. In my opinion, I'd say if you were looking to find a bike that is light, fast, and will remind you of your 520, go with the 300. Considering you came off of a 4stk 520, it may not completely match the power, but it should feel familiar. If you are looking for something to yank you off the bike (side note: I need to gain weight or work out more) when you hit the midrange, try a 250 2stk, or smaller exc. The 250 and 300 exc (maybe the 200 too, don't know) are new bikes this year. I'm pretty sure they have a completly new frame, and I know they have a brand new motor based on the SX motor. I suppose you could try to find a used 380 since they stopped making them, but NOTHING feels as good as your first ride on a NEW dirtbike. Talk to Fred T if you want to know more about the 04 250 exc, and talk to lawman about the 04 300 (I'm pretty sure he has one, although, I may be cornfused :confused: )

Either way, if it's got 2 wheels, you can't go wrong.

Top Bottom