Firebiker24

Oct 20, 2003
Hey I am new to all this 4-stroke stuff,so bear with me if you can,I just picked up a dealer demo xr100 for my son,he's 11 and is loving every minute of it! The questions are as follows,what's causing the plug to carbon to fowl?it's new with about 8-10 hours on it? And what is a good aftermarket pipe for this bike? THX!

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
I don't know about a spark plug but I do know a great pipe for that bike! It's called a T-4. It is a great pipe for XR100's. It is made by Pro Circut. Although it is a little expensive at $300.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
If it's fouling plugs, you might want to lean out the pilot jet. That old Honda 100 should run like a diesel.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
As for the aftermarket pipe, a buddy of mine put an FMF power core 4 on his xr 100 and returned it because it doesent do anything powerwise. It changes the sound of the bike substancially, but hardly any powerwise difference to justify 150$

If you want the bike to sound cool, just remove the three screws on the baffle and remove the spark arrestor peice.

jasowiii

Nov 16, 2003
Yo Old 2 strokke Dad,

When my by got his XR50 He wanted to start it all the time. After 4-5 plugs I told him he couldn't start it unless it was going to be ridden, no more fowled plugs! Go figure!

Is your son riding it hard yet? If not you might just want to wait.
If he hangs out below 1/2 throttle most of the time and you do mess with the carb, don't change the jet, just lower the needle clip.

Maybe if you open up the exhaust a little you will match it's current jetting better and the problem will go away?

A hotter plug will keep you from fowling but if you still have a rich fuel/air mixture you will continue to load carbon on your piston and valves.

Does that clear things up? Clear as mud huh?

Jimmy

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
What do you want the pipe to do? Be louder or offer a little performance gain? You can get a pipe from Thunder Alley that WILL offer some performance gain over most of the look cooler and sound louder options out there plus you can have them include a Krizman spark arrestor and ceramic coat it if you so desire. If the improvement is anything like the XR250 (284cc now) pipe I put on my bike it's will really open your eyes. My son managed to bend a valve on his '02 XR80 recently so as part of the upgrade program we're going to be giving the folks at TA a call.

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
I dont know about the XR fouling plugs. It should not be doing that. I used to have a XR100 and the best pipe (I found to be better than the FMF Power Core 4) is the Pro Circut T-4. It is great!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Be sure the air filter is clean, no rags in the air box (hey it's happened before), have you looked in the carb? It's a pretty small unit so the passages are tiny and easily blocked. The choke IS off right? Other than that it really should just run until the sun goes dim.

Top Bottom