bailout

May 22, 2005
So i picked up an 82 kdx 175 from a friend for free. Can't beat it. After a thourogh cleaning, kickstarting it still did nothing, and i was getting tired, so i decided to try to pop start it... first time nothing... second time it sputtered to life for the first time in year... but just a few sputters... then the last time it started right up and i kept it going for almost a full minuet when i just died for no reason. After that it was puking fuel out of the bowl vents. So i took the carb apart again to clean it and adjust the floats. Once i had it all back together i tried poping it again... same thing started, ran for a minuet or so, then died. And again, and then i got it to run for a little longer so i rode it around a bit, then the same thing. Now i cant even get it to sputter. Doesnt seem to throw a spark but if i hold on the the end of the plug it gives a pretty good jolt.

So after that long winded story.... heres a few questions

1. What voltage should i be getting from the stator coil/cdi box (green wire)
2. What else should i try?
3. How do i test the ignition coil?
4. Where can i find some resistance values for all this?

Thanks in advance, I'm new to the site, and i love it already :nod:

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Did you change the plug, how old is the fuel, did you clean the jets & check the fuel valve. This controls gas into the carb, it is the valve that moves with the floats. Take the carb apart and let sit overnight in cleaner and use an aresol can of carb cleaner for the jets-Take them out of the carb. Also hows the air filter, rings, etcccccc

bailout

May 22, 2005
New plug, new fuel, had the carb apart 4 times now, cleaned out the main and piloit jets, needle and seat (fuel valve) air screw, and everything is nice and clean.. i think the fuel valve is worn badly so thats the first thing i'll be getting... but i think its more of an electrical problem.

Now.. i dont have an airbox or filter, is there an aftermarket solution to this?

Compression is at 150 psi.. i figured thats pretty good for starters

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
Sounds like classic electrical to me, i reckon it will be the low speed ignition windings on your stator plate. If theyre shot, chances are the high-speed ones are too. One of my previous bikes was a pig to start, and when it did start it would only run for a few mins before stopping. I replaced the stator plate and it started first kick. I too had been pulling my hair out about what the devil my prob could be, boy was I relieved when it was fixed!!!!

P.S Mine were shot cos the crank seal had blown out, flooding the coils with fuel oil and thus causing them to short. Visually inspect the stator plate by pulling the cover off, its a 5 minute job. If its oily / wet in there you will need new coils/ to get the old ones re-wound. You will need a flywheel puller for this job.

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
Your compression is good. Service limit is 118.

Nice to see a 175 post, BTW. I've got an '80, and don't learn much with all of the talk of 200 and 220's.

bailout

May 22, 2005
i just had the coil tested.. gave a big fat spark =), fuel is deff getting in there because like i said.. if i keep it reving and reving it will stay running. I think i'm going for the stator(s). Do any of you 175 guys know if i can use the stator(s) from a kdx 200?(from rickystator.com) they look the same...
thanks again...

firecat6

Jun 25, 2005
i got a 1981 kdx175..... sometimes it gets spark but its very weak.... if you find anything out let me know.... i have had the carb apart countless times and tried everythign i can think of... so let me know how things work out.... and also.. how do you test the stator/ coil/ and cdi box?

Top Bottom