mule

Nov 7, 2001
OK having read all the air box mod posts a question comes to mind. Given the fact that not enuff air comes in, and given the fact that it comes in to too small of area on air cleaner then what about just cutting the bottom/underside part of snorkel out and combining this with holes drilled in top/back of airbox lid... This mod, I think, will give you the added benefit of getting a little ram-air action with the top of snorkel remaining, more air with the drilled holes, and more "contact" with the air filter with the removal of the underside part of the snorkel...

OK come at me...I am ready!

mule

mule

Nov 7, 2001
I am aware that some just toss the lid, also some drill holes. But I havent seen where people KEEP the snorkle and trim off some of the underside to get a ram air effect. Thats the part I am curious about with all you kdx posters...

ok please continue...

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
Leaving the snorkle in won't give you any ram air effect. There is not nearly enough airflow going under your seat, period. Also, for ram air to work (like in cars or street bikes) the speed the vehicle is travelling at has to be high. Ram air systems that are specifically designed into the vehicle don't start adding power until vehicle speeds are much faster than anyone can ride in the woods. Ever look at the ram air systems on crotch-rockets? They have big openings at the front of the bike. Plus, for ram air to work, it has to pressurize the intake system. If you drill holes in the lid, the system is no longer sealed, and any pressure build-up would just bleed off through the holes.

So, if power is the goal, take out the snorkle, drill holes if you want, or just throw away the lid. But please don't leave the snorkle in thinking that it is going to help you make power.

mule

Nov 7, 2001
I know just enuff to git me in trouble...I guess ram air was kind of funny. Just makes sense to me to point something forward to get any air thats coming that general direction. .......POS??? I think I know what that means...

mule

Top Bottom