Mar 16, 2007
read this on eric gorrs site:

New AMA Rules Exclude 250F "Bullies" and Two-Strokes Rule!

For 2007 the AMA has changed the rules for the 125 class. 250Fs are no longer the class bullies so two-strokes rule once again. 250s all race together, 2&4 strokes. Schoolboys and Juniors used to be limited to 125s, now the maximum displacement limit for the 125 class is 144cc. Cylinder boring and crankshaft stroking limitations have been eliminated and smaller riders can race Superminis in the 125 class.

is this true? old news? already in effect? :think:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yes. Yes. Yes.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Old news, The rules were passed by AMA Congress and should have been rubber stamped by the board of directors but the OEM sabotage as in and most of those changes were vetoed at the BOD.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Hubert,I am not for certain where on Eric's site you got that quote,winter of 05 the members and governing body approved eliminating the 4t handicap bs that has been on the books for almost ever,well the elite board of dirt bags all but squashed everything the members wanted!They are still dancing around it and have made no decision that I know of.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I, too, thought they had vetoed the equal displacement provisions, but when he said it was on Eric's site, I assumed something had changed more recently. . .

Apparently not.

However, it's still on Eric's site. . .

http://www.eric-gorr.com/supermini144BigBore125Kits.html

"New AMA Rules Exclude 250F "Bullies" and Two-Strokes Rule!

For 2007 the AMA has changed the rules for the 125 class. 250Fs are no longer the class bullies so two-strokes rule once again. 250s all race together, 2&4 strokes. Schoolboys and Juniors used to be limited to 125s, now the maximum displacement limit for the 125 class is 144cc. Cylinder boring and crankshaft stroking limitations have been eliminated and smaller riders can race Superminis in the 125 class."

I love Eric's work, but he probably should take that down as it could be construed as false advertising - if, indeed the rules have not been changed.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I wish they would stick them in open class!Winehead whitlock is eating donuts and once in a while slobbering about cutting the handicap to a 350 or some dumb crap,but that is for the pros and tentative!

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
new classes are being discussed right now, I am NOT in this loop, but needless to say they are alot closer then they were going to be last fall. Classes should change in 08 have to see. but today we still have the lopsided bullcrap.

MX GZR

Nov 8, 2001
I hope you're right Wardy. I'm not holding my breath though judging past AMA actions.
I believe the Big Four are pushing the thumpers because of parts costs and citing "environmental issues" as the reason. Have you seen the cost of a top end? I can rebuild my entire smoker for that price! I think the rule change (if it happens) is already too late to save the 2 stroke. 2 strokes were NOT beaten out of competition, they were legislated out! 450=250??? I think not

lynch racing

Aug 13, 2004
It takes a year or two for the AMA to adopt what is current over here in Europe, The 2 strokes are being reborn here with the UEM leading the way by adding a new sub-class (2-stroke classification)this year in the 125 and open classes.
144`s are legal and prospering, small talk in the paddock about teams switching to 144`s and being able to field more riders at a lower cost and therefor increasing thier sponsers exposure (win-win situation). :cool:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I've pretty much given up on the AMA after this last BOD BS. I hope they realize that they have alienated a huge segment of their membership.
As for competition, there is no AMA sanctioned racing in our area so the local series can do pretty much what they want. The explitives about the displacement advantages still arise and with more and more of the 250F's grenading, more two strokes are coming out the garage and back to the dirt.
Much discussion has been made on the power and sound levels both scientifically and seat-of-the-pants(SOP). I like the thumpers but I hate the sound levels! I hate the weight, too. As they have reduced weight, they have reduced reliability and increased the cost. When you look at the proliferation of the ATV market and the common disregard of the riders for the riding areas and the sound they produce, the thumpers are causing greater problems for our sport.
If, and I mean IF the AMA changes the rules AND enforces the rules on displacement and sound, maybe some local series will do the same. If not, the higher cost of fuel, fewer places to ride, and higher cost of rebuilds will ruin the sport and force many people to other activities.
I may have jumped of the subject a bit but AMA rules are ruining the sport IMO. If they don't change rules and get the OEM and aftermarket companies to produce quieter toys, the demise of our sport is within sight. Hopefully that won't happen until I'm financially or physically unable to continue riding offroad.

lynch racing

Aug 13, 2004
They do produce them but no is forced to run them, until the AMA adopts and ENFORCES a DB level as we have in the UEM and FIM, 2008 levels are 94 db 4T and 96db 2T, nothing will change there...... :cool:

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
it's a friggin joke. participation is down. sales are crap. of course we as congress people don't know what we are doing. yet we see this first hand.

ALL i can say is they better figure out how to fix this mess, and start paying attention or this "MEMBERSHIP" organization will be short a few people in the not so distance future. I guess their alienation of the "pickup" truck rider isn't working real well.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Wardy,you are the best!You have my vote for pres!The sad part is old whitlock enjoys the 1 concept hauler over 10 pickup trucks,it obviously means absolutely nothing to him!More donuts and maddog or suntan oil would be my guess!REMOVE THE STUPID HANDICAP FOR 4T's,simple!It will force technological advancement and that stupid rule did not help me on my xr75 and no one else either!Maybe you need a bigger torque wrench Gerhard,well it worked to fend off the brackens at stateline last year!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
wardy said:
it's a friggin joke. participation is down. sales are crap. of course we as congress people don't know what we are doing. yet we see this first hand.

ALL i can say is they better figure out how to fix this mess, and start paying attention or this "MEMBERSHIP" organization will be short a few people in the not so distance future. I guess their alienation of the "pickup" truck rider isn't working real well.
If I recall correctly, the AMA Congress was in full support of the rule changes as was the membership but the BOD's ignored the call for change. The BOD's seem to be alot like our federal government, "do as we say, not as we do".

02yz426f

Nov 15, 2006
Well if the 250's ran together, wouldnt the 4 stroke gets its :moon: kicked because it is only a little lighter but down on 15 horsepower compared to the 2 stroke? I agree 450's should be open class and the 125's should be alone as well, but 250 class would seem to be messed up now too.

lynch racing

Aug 13, 2004
The AMA should take a look at what the UEM has done this year to the classes, and it seems to be working great with the 2 strokes resurgence. Take a look.....
EMX2 and EMX2-junior European Championship for motorcycles of CAT1, Group A1- 2 stroke up to 144cc and 4 stroke over175cc up to 250cc.
EMX Open European Championship for motorcycles of CAT1, Group A1. 4 strokes up to 650cc and 2 strokes above 175cc up to 500cc.

That`s the 2 classes and there is a seperate point classification within these classes for 2 strokes.We ain`t got "lites" :coocoo: here. We show a little respect for the 125 class riders :cool:

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
exactly, congress on this issue basically got told, we don't care what you say, we know better and we will do it this way.

AMA is going to either figure out that we need to be allowed to help more, or they need to do away with congress and all the other smoke they blow up ........lets not go there.

I honestly believe "districts" as you know them today are on the chopping block, I truely believe they would like to see one or two regional style races a weekend and all the local small clubs and promoters can just go away. If they truely think this is the way to work it, I bet the membership will take a huge hit. But then they wouldn't have to listen to membership or the congress.........wait they didn't did they.

I have to save that after 10 years of diligence we have finally got a pro am qualification process in place. The advancement system should be working by years end correctly, but that will be interesting.

Anyway i don't want to think about classes til august...... :)

lynch racing

Aug 13, 2004
"Wardy Quote" I honestly believe "districts" as you know them today are on the chopping block, I truely believe they would like to see one or two regional style races a weekend and all the local small clubs and promoters can just go away :ohmy: . If they truely think this is the way to work it, I bet the membership will take a huge hit.

Support your local track, Fight the POWER, resist, don`t become extinct, Ask not what the AMA can do for you, But what you can do for the AMA. :whoa:

Last edited:

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
Lets add to that I hope that all this doesn't happen that way, but if it does the "little" guys will have to figure out a new plan.

Top Bottom