new base gasket got bent and other stuff

dadof2racers

Apr 5, 2005
hey guys, i was planning on rebuilding to top end in my sons rm 65. i got new gaskets piston ect.
but some how the base gasket got bent in the bag of parts.It was folded right on over. I tried to straighten it out but it still has a slight mark were it was bent. my question is should i just throw it out or will it be ok when i put the jug on it and tighten it down?..oh it's a metal gasket not a paper gasket.

second question. on another bike KX 65 i had a friend replace the crank and bearings,i replaced the rings but i didn't have new gaskets at the time,My son needed the bike to race the next day so i reused the gaskets..well i looked over all the old ones i had and used what looked the best.
it starts ,idles fine revs up good on the stand but seems to bog in the top end, powerband when being rode. tried rejeting,moving the clip on the needle, even swaped out the carb and reed block from the other bike. tried different gas ect but nothing would seem to eliminate the top end bog. I did notice that it used a little antifreeze in between moto's .
so my thinking is in high rmp's a little antifreeze is passing between the base gasket and is tring to burn it with the gas causing a top end bog. is my thinking correct or em i way off base here.
i know a little about 2 strokes but not sure about this problem.

xxBLAZExx

Jun 18, 2006
:whoa: If you would use old gaskets then you shouldn't have any trouble using a new one with a crease in it! :whoa:
Theres no way way for me to tell you if a gasket is useable without looking at. Do you have a pic?

dadof2racers

Apr 5, 2005
well i was in a pinch with using the old gaskets, other wise i would have put in new one's there is no dealer close to me.I have to have all my parts shipped out to me. i tried to make it work at the time. he did manage to race and collect his points.He managed to finish 10th so i guess it was worth it instead on not competing at all.
i will try to take a picture or the gasket but im not sure how well it will show up.
Picture001.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Last edited:

xxBLAZExx

Jun 18, 2006
Sorry I was just kiddin a little with ya.. :cool: (you definetly made the right choice in the situation and you are right a little points are better than none :cool: )
As far as the pic I cant really see it to well.(IMHO) I would go grab a new gasket but like you said you dont have a parts place near by. If you need it right away go ahead and give it a shot, otherwise you might send it back or order a new one. :yell: :(

dadof2racers

Apr 5, 2005
you can see it not bad in the first pick in post 2 it's right after the bolt hole where the gasket starts to thin.
i wish i knew how to draw a arrow on it to point it out lol

i would like to get the bike running right so he could practise this week but we are going to race saturday. my other gaskets i had ordered should be in the store tuesday and buy the time they are shipped here it will be thursday and we will be leaving friday morning to the race. we get short on time when we wait on parts

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom