Mar 16, 2007
how can i tell if I need new bearings in my rear wheel? Right now, when my bike is just sitting there, theres a little bit of play in the wheel, I can jiggle it left to right a little. I was told this is a sign i need new bearings and the rear wheel could "lock up" on me? again from the same guy

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
That is certainly a sign you need new bearings. Make sure the play isn't in the swingarm bearings, though. Don't wait too long, failed wheel bearings can do a lot of expensive damage. Figure: $200+ for a new hub, $65 for new spokes, and $90 to lace the wheel. I tossed a wheel bearing not long ago and spent about $75 in repairs.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
You should be doing a thorough inspection on your bike every few months at minimum..

When you do the inspection, you should look at all suspension and wheel bearings & seals. If you do it on a regular basis, you'll know without a doubt when you need to replace them.

It shouldn't take long to do an good inspection. Maybe 2 or 3 hours.. Make sure your bike is clean. When you do it, grease everything that moves.

I go a bit more wild when I do mine, I tear it down completely.. Even taking the engine out of the frame. You really don't miss anything that way.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
All of my bearing failures have been sudden and catastrophic. No squeaks, no looseness, just shrapnel everywhere once it does fail.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If you are waiting THAT long on the wheel bearing,what about the,swingarm,shock pivots,linkage and steering stem????? And do not forget the front wheel! Everytime you get over zealous with the pressure washer,or go riding in the sand,take it apart and clean it! You need a schedule for these issues,once a month would kill you,cost astronomical amounts of money? Left unmaintained these components fail,causing more labor,parts and MONEY! Can also be bad for your health,more money! Let go too long and it is near impossible to fix,more money! Grease is cheap!

Top Bottom