Trojans18

May 21, 2007
I am 18 year old female, and I have rode a TTR125 for about a year now, and want something with more power, because TTR125 doesnt seem like enough.. My friends brother has a 98 yz 125 he said he would sell to me for $900.. Would a 125 2 stroke be a good bike for me? all your advice is greatly appreciated .. thank you :)

1) 5'5 135lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Moderate
3) what do you plan to ride- tracks, and trail
4) Do you have any riding experience? yes 1 year dirt bike, and about 10 on fourwheelers
5) Do you think you will race ? I plan to
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Yes, with some help
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? looking at 2 stroke b/c they're cheaper
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? yes many dealerships
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? $1,500
10) Do you live in California? No, Michigan
11) Your age? 18

motoxguy47

May 21, 2007
5'5 138 lbs should be fine to ride a 125 i would ask your friends brother if he will let you try it out at a local track or something if you are not sure if it will be good for you

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
If that YZ-125 is in decent shape I would jump on it! It is a good price and it is a great bike. If nothing else it will be an appropriate step up to increase your riding skills.

If you have intentions of racing then you should take a close look at whatever organization puts on the races you are interested in and see what the appropriate class for you is. It is common for the men's classes to be broken down into all the popular engine sizes such that 125cc two strokes are only racing against other 125cc two strokes. When you get to the women's classes, however, they often lack the numbers to have all the different classes and end up combining several. While a YZ-125 is a great bike it is not going to win many races against a field of 250cc bikes.

Good luck!

Rod

Mariesa18

Feb 24, 2007
Thanks for the replies

Someone told me that bumping up to a 125 2 stroke might be too much, I personally thing I can handle it, just some getting used to of riding a 2 stroke.. but they told me to try a kx 100? I just dont want something that will last me a year again and then have to sell it for a upgrade...

SC_Rider_427

Feb 20, 2007
i went from klx 125L to a yz 125, i didnt seem to have a problem. I think it would be fine as long as you get used to it, i rode mine just around the house to get used to the power band hit, after i got used to i had no issue with the bike. I would ask if you could ride it to see how you feel on it.

Mariesa18

Feb 24, 2007

Ya thats what i was thinking. What would be some major differences that I would need to know, going from my ttr125 to the yz 125 2 stroke..?

SC_Rider_427

Feb 20, 2007
Just that the ttr is a trail bike, and the yz is a MX bike, the yz is WAY more powerfull then that ttr. Just be sitting way up on the tank so when you hit the powerband it dose'nt throw you off.

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
I picked up that exact same bike for my 20 yr old sister, she loves it.

Shes about 5'5" roughly. She also plays hockey, which requires her to stay in shape. She hopped on my 250 and didn't like it at all.

You can always ride a fast bike slow, but you can't ride a slow bike fast. As long as you keep yourself forward on the bike and get used to the powerband.

My 1 and only concern would be if you can pick it up after it has tipped over. Ask the owner if you can gently set it down in the grass and try and pick it up. As long as you can do that, you will be fine.

Mariesa18

Feb 24, 2007

Ya Im in really good shape and athletic, play many sports. But ya I did look at the weight differences between the ttr and yz125, and its heavier and taller.. have to see how it works

Mariesa18

Feb 24, 2007
also sorry about the different account, I forgot my account name, because I was on a diff. computer so had to make a new one, but once I got home it automatically logged me onto the Mariesa18 one.. just so there's no confusion.. sorry

Mariesa18

Feb 24, 2007
Ya its just alittle heavier than my ttr but alot taller, but I can always fix the height, so not going to be a problem, I just hope the 2 stroke yz 125 doesnt scare the crap out of me.. going to have to take it slow! :)

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
The weight increase won't be any issue for you. The suspension will be so much better that it will carry the extra weight with ease and still leave you with a much better ride.

You will definately notice the height. You will be standing on tip toe to hold the bike upright when you stop and will need to lean it over in order to kick start it. Once you are rolling it probably won't bother you at all.

I suspect that you will get used to the power real quick.

Rod

May 10, 2007
yea i think you can take the 125 2stroke powerwise it will just take some getting used to

my friend had the same bike you did and jumped to a kx 250 so you will get used to it in time.

Top Bottom