Scooter650

Sep 25, 2003
Have been riding quads for a couple year, and recently got my two boys an XR50 and XR70. Now I have decided that it would be more fun to ride on two wheels with them.

My only experience on dirt bikes was limited as a kid. I am 6'-3" and 220lbs, 32 years-young. We will be mostly trail riding, at least for a couple years. I will obviously want to be able to jump a little, but can not see myself going big at the track. I also want to be able to get it on the street to run to the store sometimes, but won't go any distance.

I really like the reliability of the XRs, but have also been reading about the KDX and DRZ. I want it to be reliable and am not really into modding it out. I want to ride it out of the box and not have to maintain and fix it all the time.

The only real drawback that I see with the XR is the kick start. How big of a pain is that? Do they kick and start as easy as the little ones? Any problem with stalling them? The DRZ looks good but I hear it is too heavy for what you get. The KDX sounds great, but not a 2-stroke fan. I like to be able to stop by the pump and fill it up or carry one can for all the bikes.

Found a used 2003 XR250, very clean, for $3500, is that a good deal, or able to pass on it and look for better?

Hopefully I followed the "rules" and you have all the info to give me some input. Thanks in advance!!!

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I had a DRZ250 for the wife. It was a very fun bike. I'm 6' and 220 but I felt it was a little underpowered. However, I was used to a YZF250 at the time.

I feel with some sprocket changes the power would be better depending on what you want.

I do feel it is a very good beginner bike though. The e-start makes it really nice.

Ivan

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
look at the DRZ 400 electric start!! Little more power and no kicking;-)

Nordegg

Nov 5, 2002
I like the XR250 and rode one for several years in the mountains, but I'm 5'8" and 165lbs. Any of these bikes is liable to be a "one year then move on proposition". That doesn't make them a bad idea, but I wouldn't get anything brand new 'cause you'll lose on trade in.

Any beginner will love the electric start, because you'll stall quite a bit while going thru the learning curve. I love my electric start because I can start the bike mid-stream, or half way up a mountain, or in a swamp. Having said that, a properly jetted kick start bike is generally very easy to start.

I'd buy whichever I got a better deal on a USED model. I bought and sold my XR250 for very similar prices, and it took my abuse with grace. I'd pay a little extra for electric start but don't stress about it.

Scooter650

Sep 25, 2003
Thanks all, with all the reading I did and your replies, I picked up a new 04 XR250 this Saturday, what a blast!!! OTD price of $4,100 vs. a used 03 for $3,575, I took the brand new one. Took the boys and went riding for about 4 hours on Sunday. Started it on the third kick at most all day, so can't really see the need for the electric start.

Might only be a one year bike, but that will have to wait and see. If it is, I can get the CRF250X when that finally comes out!

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
The XR400 mostly likely you'd on it longer, but the Xr250 would met your needs. Right from the start have your suspension corrected for your weight.

Top Bottom