firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
:D
As if my ego wasn't big enough, I now have a pretty brand new scoot to haul around in the back of my truck and occasionally fall off of.
So next Wednesday I get to motor on down to Oregon to pick up my new bike, new Acerbis gear, ramp, knee brace, graphics, and all the other cool stuff I ordered. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!
Ride reports will be forthcoming as soon as I get it home. Maybe even before, if I happen to pass by something interesting on the trip home . . .

------------------
Between bikes at the moment--but a pumpkin is looming on the horizon!
http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/flyin_firecracker22
E-mail me at flyin_firecracker22@yahoo.com

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
CONGRATS FC22!!! :) Getting a new bike is always so exciting - bet you won't get much sleep between now and next Wednesday... I think I would go nuts waiting!!

------------------
'01 YZ 125 - #32
2000 D17 Women's Motocross Champion
Sponsors: DGY, MX-Tech, Bell, Smith, Works Connection, Boyesen, Twin Air, SoCal/DeCal Works, Morris Trailer Sales, and Skyway Trucking

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Don't know my schedule of events next weekend (4/28-4/29) yet but I know the KTM and I will be SOMEWHERE getting to know each other. Oh boy. There's a poker run here but I don't think I need witnesses (who I don't already know, anyway) for my first run on the new baby. I might meander on over to the dry (cold) side of the mountains . . .
Besides, there's a certain RM rider there who might gladly accompany us . . .
I hear Canfield looks pretty good too, from Becky.

------------------
Between bikes at the moment--but a pumpkin is looming on the horizon!
http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/flyin_firecracker22
E-mail me at flyin_firecracker22@yahoo.com

AnneBrooks

Jan 17, 2001
WooHoo! Congrats! Can't wait to hear the ride report---did you say it was a 200?? Bob is thinking that is what I should get next also, so I am REAL interested in your reports! Good Luck!

------------------

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
Congrats firecracker! There is nothing like getting a new bike. When I picked up my XR from the dealer, I kept looking in the mirrow at it in the back of my truck. It's never looked that clean since. ;) Have fun and give us some ride reports!

------------------
Neelys Photo Page

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Waaaaaaaa--Hooooooooo!!!!!

Let me stress that this is NOT a wuss-bike in any way.
It has great power—plenty of it and right where you need it. I love the way the engine screams when I hit the powerband. It has the low-end pull of a bigger bike but the response of a 125. Two male friends of mine, one who rides a 250 and one who rides a 125, were very, very impressed with my 200. It is as light as most 125 motocross bikes and slightly shorter. The suspension, when softened up, worked great for me. I am 5’7" and about 135 so I am shorter and lighter than the average male rider, but I am also a trifle taller than the average female. The KTM is 36.4" to the seat, so I on tip-toes and I have to make sure I’m not in a hole when I stop or kick-start the bike. After I cut the seat foam and the suspension breaks in it will be better.
I had a couple of rough moments on my first day as we got into some tight woods trails since as a four-stroke rider I am not used to using the clutch as much as I should be. I fell down and generally looked foolish. I felt frustrated that trails I could bomb down in 3rd gear on my XR were now defeating me in 1st and 2nd gear on a bike which is obviously better in every way. However, the guys (both AA-class woods riders) were quick to reassure me that I was improving dramatically and to give myself some time to get used to the new bike.
I felt a little better on the track—I rode a SX-style track Friday (with somewhat crappy marble-like dirt) and a more open track Saturday. It’s a little unusual for me since I consider myself a woods spode before a track rider but on the new bike I spent far less time on the ground on the mx track. Oh well, it’ll come. Whoops are one of my all-time favorite parts and the whoop section was nice and long with a sweeping corner coming out and I was hitting the whoops in 3rd and then grabbing a handful to pull through the corner. It was great fun.
But I love my new bike and can’t wait until I feel more comfortable on it! It has wonderful power and great suspension with it softened all the way for my 130-lb female self. As I improve and the bike breaks in there may be some suspension changes but I’ll have to ride it a while before I know enough to make a decision.
I’ve only ridden it a little bit so far; my initial impression may change. I can see how great a bike it will be but I know I can’t use it to a fraction of its potential just yet. What I can say about the bike is that it is a beautiful piece of engineering and I do not regret my choice. I know I purchased the best bike for my ability and riding style. I am 22, female, and riding is my life; I try to do as much of it as I can (every weekend I ride or race, and I am trying to ride during the week as well). This is a bike I will appreciate for a long, long time. I would recommend it to anyone who intends to do competition as well as recreational riding. If you are short, you may prefer to do some suspension work to it; however it is far more suited to hare scrambles and enduros at a more competitive level than any shorter bike I know of. So it is not a chick bike, it is not a weak bike, and it is definitely capable of anything you ask it to! I love my bike and get a silly grin every time I see it in the back of my pickup!
I purchased hand-guards, a guard for the clutch slave cylinder, which is located right in front of the front sprocket, and is very vulnerable to rocks and things which might get caught in the chain and new plastic, but no other bolt-ons. Yet. A pipe-guard may be in the future since the 200 has a huge pipe that wraps around the front of the engine.
I put new tires—Michelin S-12 rear and M-12 front, which is the tire combo choice for the area—on it last night and wired the grips and tightened everything. I am riding more tomorrow and have my FIRST RACE on it Sunday.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
She's ALIVE!!! She's ALIVE!!!!

Glad to hear you're enjoying the new pumpkin! I was afraid you had stayed out past midnight on it and you know what happens then - the pumpkin turns into an XR, your gear turns into a gown and your boots turn into glass slippers and all the mice become men or something like that. ;)

Pipe guard is a definite help on the good trails (meaning rocks, roots & ruts). Mine did it's job on my getoff at the harescramble - pipe was saved but the guard had to be ahhhhh readjusted so to speak!

I take it you are hitting the Muddy Butt Sunday! Looks like we won't make it - club is holding a kid's ride Sunday and I'm not too sure about my knee yet. Seems the bruise on my thigh is migrating down to the knee or it could just be the stupid mountain biking we've been doing. Will see what the doc says but it's too stiff for my liking.

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Firecracker, please post what pipe guard you go with if you do. I put a couple dents in mine last weekend and from what I understand the stocker is the best for top end...

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
William, if you have the money, check out an E-line carbon fiber pipe guard. Very sleek and lightweight. If you want to save a few bucks and don't mind a little elbow grease, try a Moose pipe guard. That's what I put on my 200. Very thick (about 1/8") aluminum, and it takes some effort to bend it to shape. I already had a small dent near the top of the header, and decided I'd better put a guard on before I trashed the pipe.

FC-- If I may offer some spodely advice from one who's been there? I'm re-adjusting to my KTM as well. While the suspension was out getting re-valved, I rode the KDX around quite a bit, and, ashamed to say it, got used to it again. Put the KTM back together, rode it, and it kicked my butt. The XR, and to some extent, the KDX are lazy bikes that will let you get away with some sloppy habits and not punish you. The KTM, however, is more finely tuned, and it reacts to every little input. Think about riding the KTM the opposite of your XR. On the XR, you hang back a bit to keep the front end light. On the KTM, you need to get over that gas tank, otherwise the front tends to get squirrely. Use your knees to hold on to the tank. I find using my knees more cuts down on the extra arm pump I get with the KTM. Practice slipping the clutch to control traction to the rear wheel-- especially critical for gnarly hills. You're at the point where you need to un-learn some of the habits you developed on the XR. The XR's are very good at slow to moderate speeds, and the KTM is good at higher speeds. Sure, you can lug the KTM around and trail ride, but it is a bike that is happiest working at it's full potential.
Now, that being said I have to go work on MY technique. Sometimes, it's a heckofa lot easier said than done. :think

Top Bottom