Xis

Jul 13, 2005
I plan on getting a dirt bike but I'm having a little trouble deciding how many ccs and a 2 stroke or 4 stroke
1) I'm about 5 8" ish and I weigh 130 lbs
2) I don't know if this means anything but I'm a girl and I'm 14 :P
3) I don't plan on riding a dirt bike too aggressivly but from time to time I probably will
4) I'd be riding it on trails in woods, with friends and on MX tracks (for poker runs and practice)
5) I will not be racing because I don'tthink I could push my parents that far
6) I have ridden a dirt bike before (well more then once but the same bike) it was a CR150F
7) I'd probably want a yamaha or a honda, but yamaha would be my first choice and I've got quite a few dealers around here that have them
8) I'd want to spend less then 6 grand on a bike (and maybe less then 5)

I also don't know if I want a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke. I was trying to decide on a competion bike OR a rec. bike from yamaha. I'd want a bike that wouldn't be able to totally get smoked by a KX250 CR250 or a suzuki 250 (all of which are 2 strokes) but it wouldn't have to keep up.

I was looking at the YZ 125's, then I was looking at the rec bikes (4 stroke ones) and i was stuck between a TT-R230, TT-R250 or a 125 from that category (also whats the difference between the TT-R125, TT-R125E, TT-R125L and the TT-R125LE?)

Sorry for making this such a long post and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :nod: .

xr100ider

Jan 31, 2003
i'd go for a yz125. it might be a little much at first since you haven ridden before, but just learn to respect the bike ie throttle control and common sense. as far as keeping up with the 250's, it's mostly up to the rider's skill. good luck.

n_w t_ b_kes

May 31, 2005
I say a 125 2-stroke (YZ, CR, RM, KX, or SX) or a 250 4-stroke (CRF, YZ-F, KX-F, or RM-Z). If you are getting a new 125 I would say go for either the 05' or 06' YZ125. If you are getting a new 250f than I would say wait get an 06' YZ250F because its the most reliable of the 250f's.

Xis

Jul 13, 2005
oh and one more thing, are the 2 strokes alright for riding on trails (the trails around my house aren't like super rough or anything but they can get pretty muddy in the spring and fall) do you think I'd be able to get it troguh. And would they be alright for riding on train tracks? cuz we've got some old ones that they took the ties and rails off so its just one big long gravel lane that everyone makes jumps on and stuff.

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Probably better go with the yz125. It sounds like you will get bored with a TTR very quickly. The yz will have some room for you to grow into it. Just take your time and learn the power-band/throttle control. :cool:

DVMX

Jul 1, 2005
ChopperDave said:
Probably better go with the yz125. It sounds like you will get bored with a TTR very quickly. The yz will have some room for you to grow into it. Just take your time and learn the power-band/throttle control. :cool:

yeah fair enough, but like chopperdave said take it slow

Xis

Jul 13, 2005
My friend that lives down the road from me has a TT-R125 he said it got boring after a couple of months and I'll probably have to keep my bike for 4 years before I go to university so I think the YZ125 would be alright. I just don't want it to wimp out on trails bevcause thats mostly what I'll be on.

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
IMO, you should stick with a 4stroke with electric start. Perhaps a Yamaha TTR230 or Honda CRF150 or 230. If your parents care about your safety, they should be willing to let you start out on a starter bike and trade at least once for a higher performance one. If you get one of these bikes used but in good shape, then you won't loose hardly any resale value in a year's time as long as you take care of it A 125 2stroke is not going to shine in the mud or trails. They can be made to work, but take advanced clutch/throttle control when riding in those conditions and quite frankly can be dangerous to someone who doesn't have it. Combine that with slippery trail conditions and I don't think it would be the best way to start out.

Airlooped

Feb 1, 2005
I know that you want a Yamaha but it sounds like a Kawasaki KDX200 might be a good fit. The are an excellent "all around" bike. The are easy to start, easy to maintain, and the run pretty good. All for about $4000 brand new.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
I would say the YZ125. Just take it slow at first and learn throttle control and clutch. I ride a RM125 in trails and stuff, which some are pretty narrow and muddy some times. A second choice would be a KDX200 or a TTR-230 or TTR-250. You should go to your local dealers and sit on the bikes, see how they fit you, and get a feel for them.

DVMX

Jul 1, 2005
xsnrg said:
A 125 2stroke is not going to shine in the mud or trails.

My RM125 flies through the trails & most terrain isn't a problem, I don't think u'd have to worry about a YZ125 wimping out, it'll decimatte the trail,maybe not as good as a big thumper bit it shouldn't be any problem

trailrider190

Jul 14, 2005
if the trails are fairly flat than a yz 125 is fine. Im looking into getting a bike to. i am actaully the same height and weight. I was looking at a yz125 but since i am not going to be on mx tracks at all i think i will get a kawsaki kdx200. It is a 2-stroke and very good on the trails, but im not sure how good it is on tracks. If you will be like trail riding like 95% of the time i would get something like a kdx200. If you will be on tracks alot i would get the yz125. good luck. Have fun with your new bike. Man i wish i had $5,000 to sepnd on a bike. You are a very lucky person.

Xis

Jul 13, 2005
Sorry for this slow reply but I haven't been home a lot lately.

xsnrg I thought the CRF150F was a pretty good bike. I liked it's speed and I could handle it but I would probably be able to handle more.

I should probably say that the trails around here aren't really that rough. And I don't like in liek the mountains or anything, I live in Southern Ontario. It's just in the spring and fall that the trails get a little more muddy but i nthe sumemr they're really dry. Plus some of them aren't s'posed to be dirt biking/ quadding trails, they're horse trails that people made to take their horses on a ride for. But everyone just uses them as dirt biking trails anyways.

I don't think I would be on a track much, probably WAY more on trails. I guess I could look at the KDX200 but I've heard kawasaki is a little less realible.

So now I have it narrowed down to a YZ125 or a KDX200. From there I'm not totally sure what I should get.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I've owned and raced 80-500cc two strokes and ridden most all the 4-strokes out there. I agree that if most of your riding will be trails you should look at the KDX200, if a mix of trails and MX look at a 125 or 250F MX bike. If money isn't a problem a CRF250X would probably be ideal. If a 125 is a bit intimidating but you don't want something as boring as a TTR look at the KX100. they are almost as quick as the 125's but physically, much smaller and lighter making them easier to handle. My wife and sister are a couple of inches shorter than you, but both love their KX100's. A TTR isn't a bad bike for putting around but if you are trying to chase MX bikes around it will be pretty hopeless without spending big $$ to fix the suspension and get more hp out of the motor.

125's and 100's actually do great in the trails and tight conditions contrary to what some have said. I've got more than a few Harescrambe trophies to prove it:) Of course they don't have a lot of low rpm power, but thats why bikes come with clutches and transmissions. My sister won the overall womens harescramble championship for AMA-District 7 on a KX100, her competitors were on bikes ranging from RM80's to KDX200's.

TTR-125 uses 17/14" wheels and is kick start
TTR-125L uses 19/16" wheeels, has an upgraded front brake and is kickstart.
The TTR-125E and LE are the same, as above, respectively but are electric start.

good luck and have fun:)

Top Bottom