New Bike old rider chain question

bill23435

Sep 30, 2005
Not to age myself but many years ago when I rode the deserts of southern cal our bike breaks were drum brakes and we mostly used 90 weight oil on the chains.

Well I went and bought myself a new fangled ride (mid life crisis) and it has rear disc breaks. I put on that chain lube that comes in a can and is not supposed to sling off.

Some always seems to come off and get on the rear break disc. (black specks all over the tire and disc break) I wipe it off once in a while with break parts cleaner. Seems to me this would happen with whatever you put on the chain. Is this a concern for the bike rider of today?

It has one of those o ring chains

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
not on a harley/custom bike with a sprocket/disc set up
those are kewll-
i never had any luck with lube on the chain- it always gets hot -and there goes the wax/lube/grease/oil- or what ever you use- i dont use anything really-
water to wash / and a lil wd/or something like that on a rag-
i got tired of crapp all over the tire and chain ect...-
its also dangerous- if it gets on the side tread you could loose controll on corners
replace chain as needed

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Is the bike a 2 stroke? The only thing that I can think of dripping on the rear disc is spooge from the exhaust. As stated by dezryder, the brake disc and chain are on opposite sides of the wheel. I use WD40 to repel water on my chain after washing the bike, and then follow with a VERY light coat of chain lube. I haven't had any issues with lube flinging off the chain to make the mess you are describing. More info might help.

bill23435

Sep 30, 2005
I must be using to much spray lube. But after I apply it I wrap the chain in a rag squeeze tight and spin the tire to remove excess.

It is a 4 stroke kawasaki KLX

When the chain is hot I spray on the chain lube and wipe excess off the chain and sprocket. Can says let it dry for 15 minutes I give it at least 1/2 hour. Seems fairly dry to the touch. After a ride there are black specks (fling off) all over the wheel and break disk.

In the past all I did after washing the bike was hit the chain with WD-40 however, I hear o-ring chains do not recommend wd-40. I am thinking of switching to 3 in 1 oil and apply a light coat after washing.

bill23435

Sep 30, 2005
Thanks I will give it a try. Someone else mentioned to me to use Bel-Ray white stuff but the can of bel ray I bought came out yellow. I will give it a try (if I can find it)

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Go light on that Bel Ray - white or yellow. It won't fling, but it tends to build up over time and is a bear to scrub off.

I've tried a lot of chain lubes over the years but never had an issue with getting any to fling onto the rear disc - even with something as light as WD-40. It will get on the rim/cases/swing arm, but never had a problem with the rear disc. Have you tried MX1000? It's available at MX1000.com. I've heard good things about it.

Good luck.

Top Bottom