BUCKWHEAT

Nov 14, 1999
I have not been hanging around here much lately but am pleased to announce I ordered a 05' YZ250f last week that should be in mid month. It's going to be quite a change from the 01' DRZ400 I've been piloting for the last year and a half. The DRZ is still a keeper as it is street-legal (barely) and actually spec'd out and working very nicely now on the local trails and fields.
I gave the DRZ a chance at racing last month when the WORCS came to town in the Vet-B race. The stock suspension nearly killed me but we soldiered through to finish a ways back in the pack. That was the DRZ's first and I wish I could say last race on a moto style course. I will have to race her one more time in the series before the YZ gets here.
Anyway, I'm excited and looking forward to going blue again. All the reports and tests for the YZ with the new forks and other changes are very encouraging and the zero,zero,zero on the $5,400 OTD was the deal maker for me. Still trying to convince the Missus it was a to-good-to-pass-up deal. Promising her a 05' TTR230 in the spring seems to have gotten me out of the doghouse for now. :laugh:

Thump-on!

BUCKWHEAT

Nov 14, 1999
Thanks. Rumor has it the 06' YZFs will have the aluminum frame. Probably worth waiting for if your timeline is six months or greater. If fuel-injection was on the rumor vine, I probably would have held out till next year.

slodsm

Jul 20, 2004
Congrats man, I almost lost my mind when I cracked open my 250F from a slow roll in 1st. The Tq is insane compared to the 2 smokes I am used to riding and the power over the couple of DRZ's I have ridden is rediculous as well. I can't wait to get this one out on an MX track the first time this weekend.

You will love the 250F's power and weight.

TreeTalker

May 8, 2004
Congrats, sounds like you will have a great ride on your hands. Keep us informed on how well it handles and runs. And I know what ya mean about keeping out of the dog house....lol I was just lucky enough to have a wife who wants me out of the house, the bike was just the ticket. Good luck with it. Lee

jho410

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
You will love it and be glad for not waiting ... never wait, always buy now! :eek: Most people will talk about the engine, and it does rock, but the suspension and handling are what I like best.

BUCKWHEAT

Nov 14, 1999
Well, I picked it up yesterday evening and have not ridden it yet. Busy schedule this week and will be lucky just to do all the new bike prep work in the next few days. Weatherman saying more snow and cold on the way :bang: :bang: :bang:

Anyway, the bike starts very easily and seems carburated close enuff for now. I do have a few questions. Will the rear rim accept a wider tire and is there any benefit in doing so? Also, does the airbox have enough access to fresh air from under the seat or is anyone adding vents to the side of the airbox? Any bolts notorious for coming loose on this thing during break-in?

Thanks.

jho410

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
I've read posts on Thumpertalk about people putting the 110/90-19 tire on and claiming that it lasts longer. It will fit. The stock size hooks up just fine but it does seem like it wears a little quicker. I may try the larger size soon.

I've also heard of some trimming of the back of the airbox - not rushing to do that mod. I haven't seen any bolts loosen in the last 2 months and I've raced the bike twice (100 miles each race) and ridden another 200 or so for fun.

Ride and enjoy.

Top Bottom