TheMitch

Oct 1, 2008
1) your physical size : 5'10 150 lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ? : 8.5

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? : Mostly desert, every once in a while i will go to the track and dunes.

4) Do you have any riding experience? : yes, i rode a kx 85 ages 11-15

5) Do you think you will race ? : if i get good enough

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? : somewhat, i will do the simple stuff oil changes ect.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? : 2 stroke

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? : i have many dealers close to me

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? : $2000

10) Do you live in California? : yes

11) Your age? : 18

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion :
I was debating on 125 or 250 2 stroke. I have been finding way more good deals on the 125 but im not sure if it has the power i want when going up hills and ect. I also herd somebody in these forums say that the 125 is like a buffed up 85. is that true? because i definately want more power then my 85.

Thanks for your input

Last edited:

Mar 18, 2006
There are better opinions here than mine but...., The 125 will have similar power characteristics to an 85. Meaning not a lot of bottom with a top end rush. A 125 does not have significantly greater power than an 85. More, yes but not a lot more. You are big enough and experienced enough to handle a 250 for trail riding, although it may not be the best choice to start racing. A 125 requires more engine maintenance than a 250, because they rev a little higher and are generally run harder because almost anyone can wring one out (constantly). A 125 in really good shape would be a good choice, but a 250 makes a better trail bike. That all being said, you will never have more fun on a bike than you will have on a 125 IMO. Best case, find a good 250 and find a friend with a 125 so you can switch out and ride his now and then for the pure fun of a 125 2 stroke.

Aug 25, 2008
hey man i got a yz80 and im 16 live in socal and go to the desert i wanted a 125 but thought the same thing you thought good thing i got the 250 2stroke and you should too get a 250 2 stroke its worth it then in a couple months youll see its fun and not regret getting the 125

get a 250 2 stroke you will get used to the power for sure tell me what you get and price "ill bet you cant get a better deal that i did" haha

TheMitch

Oct 1, 2008
i ended up getting an 03 yz 250. i have no regrets im glad i didnt get the 125. i got it for 2200 and it had pro circut pipe, triple clamps, V fore reeds, pro tech suspension.

jesse_54

Apr 1, 2008
Good move with buying a 250 instead of a 125.

If you have ridden a 85 for a few years you would outgrow the power of a 125 very quickly.

I went from an old p.o.s to a 125, and I've already outgrown it, and have only had it for one season! Wish I got the 250 :bang:

Top Bottom