SEQ

May 1, 2003
I just picked up a new 04 yz85 for my son. Anyone have any good trailriding/enduro setup tips. Also need to lower it a little. What are your thoughts on dropping fork tubes thru triple clamps and backing off the rear spring prelaod.

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
Well, first of all, this bike in it's orginal form, REALLY sucks for a trail bike. it is WAY too pipey for a trail. so far, I have dropped the pilot jet and the main jet and it is still TOO rich in the low end. the float is on the money. {i got one too} the next thing I am gonna try is dropping the front drive sproket one tooth, and raising the rear one tooth, and go up on a chain value. just no low end power, as I'm sure you are aware of. the stock chain appears to be stretching pretty quick as well. I thought I would work up to a pipe for my boy, so I will try other stuff first, then a pipe. the stock shifter is a little weak too. I'm not too sure how far I would go on droppin the fork, it is already what, 20mm?? we reset the ride sag to 100mm
If you come up with something that works, PLEASE! pass it on to me. very large change for velcroboy from a TTR125L to a YZ
Thanks.

SEQ

May 1, 2003
Hey Knarly
thanks for the info. I havnt played with the jetting as yet as I only picked it up yesterday. I took it for a bit of a ride and also thoiught it could do with a bit more off the bottom. Our first ride is next weekend and I have been offered the use of an FMF fatty pipe to see if it makes any difference. I will let you know.

I agonised over what bike to purchase for him. He has come off a KTM65sx so he is quite used to the power delivery of a 2 stroke.

What I really wanted was a high performance 4 stroke. 150cc watercooled 5 valve head in a yz 85 chassis, but of course there is no such thing at the moment, although I am hoping that bthere will be when this bike gets replaced.

Cheers

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
I ran up to the dealership today to talk to them about gettimg more power out of the bottom end. we both agreed NOT to do the pipe. the SST will gain H.P throughout the entire band, but H.P. isn't what WE need. got plenty of that! we need trackable power. a stelthy flywheel weight! 100 bucks. the gearing was the wrong way for me to pursue, just turn into short shifting, rocket, with nuthin but wheel spin. I think I will go this way next. I'll let ya know in a couple of weeks.

Top Bottom