Madmanadam

Oct 30, 2007
Hey, I currently have a DRZ 125 2004 , Looking at moving up when im 14 and a half ish (im currently 13)
I was thinking a 2 stroke 125? O and also i want a bike that will last me a few years, not one that will last a year then i have to get a new bike :D

ok so heres the info:

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
Not sure on height, maybe 160cm? Weight about 55-60kg
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Quite aggressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Beach and MX
4) Do you have any riding experience?
yes
5) Do you think you will race ?
yeah
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
No im not but my dad can do some stuff... otherwise i can take it to a shop
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
2 banger
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Umm theres a couple but idk what they got.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
well im from NZ so I cant really tell in American dollars..
10) Do you live in California?
Nope
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
Thanks for your help :)

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
I think that a 125 two stroke would be a good bike for you. Seeing as you ride beaches (probably wide open) and MX, I'd suggest no other bike. A 250 two stroke might be a bit much if you've never rode a smoker before, so a 125 would be perfect i think.

SHSPVR

Oct 24, 2006
I think a 125 two stroke maybe a bit to tall for him at 5' 2" being I'm 5' 4" 150lb sure he room to grow but at all most 14 and only few more year to grow I don't think he going to grow more 2" or 3" more then he all ready is.
Madmanadam if you want spent time jump on and off bike when stop and start riding and you need a box just so can kick start the bike unless it has a kickstand I would go for the smaller 80/85cc two stroke which be lots more powerful then what you all ready have now.
Heck I have been riding my 1987 CR80R for 20 years and this year I up grade to CRF150R.

Last edited:

Madmanadam

Oct 30, 2007
im not sure how tall i am eh, but im pretty sure i could start it fine, oh well ill have a test before i buy.

May 10, 2007
a 150r isnt a bad idea but you will out grow it.

a 125 is way too tall. im 5 8 and i fit on em perfect. my friend is 5 5 and has trouble starting full size bikes. the kick start is just a bit too high for him.

Madmanadam

Oct 30, 2007
I am 5 5, by the time i get my new bike i reckon ill be about 5 7 :D

But we'll see, I want to grow into a bike not out of a bike, then I know I have a while to save for my next bike :)

jayden122

Aug 4, 2007
yeah im 13 and 5'10 and i just got a cr125r its madd they have good power etc, and i stepped up to that from a pitboss so i think youll handle the power difference fine, although it may be to tall

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
I think that a 125 will be a little tall, but you shouldn't have a problem with leaning it over and getting a foot down when you stop. They are light so you can lean them easily.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
If you are athletic and aggresive you will fit a 125 just fine. My son and several of his friends started racing 125s when they were 12 years old and 4'11 to 5'6 tall. My son was only 5'1" 98 lbs when he first raced his 125- the deal was he could race it once he could pick it up off the ground and start it all by himself. Given the ultimatum he was ready to race later that day. Where there is a will there is a way

Madmanadam

Oct 30, 2007
I like the idea..
I heard that after 25 hrs of riding you have to service your bike or something.
Some people call it servicing, others call it a Top end rebuild, I cant remember clearly but i just remember you have to get 3 things, or clean 3 things, *Mind Blank*
Can anyone please tell me about this?

Madmanadam

Oct 30, 2007
Oh, and i also heard that it was cheaper with a 2 stroke, Can someone also tell me the costs for 2 and 4 stroke, THANKS HEAPS!

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
How often you should rebuild the top end of your engine really depends on how hard you ride the bike and how often you ride it. If you are riding a two stroke daily, and ride fairly aggressively, you might want to do a rebuild every 25 hours. But if you ride less often and don't run your bike really hard, you can get away with 50 to 60 hours and still be safe.

And you are correct in saying that 2 strokes are cheaper to rebuild. If you keep regular maintenance on a two stroke, you will do more rebuilds than you would with a four stroke obviously, but if you let a four stroke go without checking valves, things can get expensive. Compare about $60 for a two stroke top end rebuild to $1000+ if something goes wrong in a four stroke engine.

bmcd308

Feb 9, 2007
If they have it in NZ also consider KX100. It will give you way more power than your current bike and way better suspension without being as tall as a 125.

You might consider buying a used KX 100 for the transition to 2T then reselling it for about what you paid for it when you are sure you are ready for a 125. The 25cc does not make as much difference as you would think, but the 125s are definitely full-sized bikes in terms of seat height.

Sit on each and see what you think; it sucks to have to plan ahead to stop on a bike that is way tall.

Madmanadam

Oct 30, 2007
well I currently have a DRZ125 so I think I can probably grow into a 125. I am quite a bit taller then what I was when I wrote this thread a month or 2 ago, and still growing :D.
Well this probably isnt the greatest time to get a bike, being an 80,85 would get outgrown to quick and I want a 2 stroke for sure so I think its just going to have to be a 125. Maybe an RM125 or a KX125.I am re bumping this now because there is probably more members and more advice going round as its the festive season.
Your opinion on what to do. (Im going to get a 125 2 banger unless someone tells me otherwise)

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
I think a 125 2-stroke would be a great bike for you.You don't really need to worry about the height,I know a lot of people who ride bikes way too tall for them.As long as the bike is not too heavy for you ,and you can start it,the height shouldn't be a problem.

Top Bottom