jonooffler

Jun 10, 2009
Hi all as some of you might know I rode a KDX 220 2003 for a year and loved it ,however as with all things it came to an end and I changed it for a WR426 and thought that some of you would like to know how it has worked out ..
Well first off the dealer dropped the bike off at my work and after a walk round and test ride the deal was struck and off he went with my KDX in the back of his van.
5.00 pm came and it was home time I ran out side and kicked the bike over and .... nothing ....kicked it again still nothing , I have riden 4 strokes before but this thing just did not want to go . After about 10 minutes of kicking it coughed and fired up I rode it out of work and then it died , no worries it's at the top of a steep hill I can bump start it, well it was a long hill but still nothing.
I then found that the petrol tank was dry .I walked the bike to the petrol station about 2 miles. It was then I noticed that is does weigh more than the KDX. Once filled up I tried to kick it over but by this time I was spent. After about 10 mins of kicking and lots of advice from the public at the petrol station ( none of it helpful ) it fired up and I managed to ride home.
The following week I gave the bike a full service and booked it in for it's MOT , the morning of the MOT came and the bike once more refused to start. I kicked it for a good 20 mins on what was the hotest day of the year but still nothing. I even rang up the dealer to ask if he still had my KDX, thinking that I could get it back. That night I sat down with youtube and watched all the happy owners start their bikes with one kick and made notes.
I left the bike to sulk all week and rebooked the MOT. The morning of the MOT came and my wife came up with the stupid idea of "reading the manual" just to keep her happy i did, and found that all the time I was down to the right technique .She now fires up cold or hot first kick and dare I say it is faster to start than my old KDX.
Now before you read the next bit please be asured that I loved my KDX 220 and did say that it was the best off road ride I have ever ridden.
So on to the important stuff is the WR426 better that the KDX220 in a word YES . I hate to say it but it is much better . The KDX was very light , which is good in may ways but to my mind the WR tracks much better off road. I have found that I'm riding much faster than I did and that's not down to the power of the 426, the bike feels more stable and feels better planted. I'm taking different lines on trails I have ridden for years. The sort of riding I do is green lane and woods and I would say ( no pun ), the WR is every bit as the good as the KDX ,as a woods bike and in many ways better. The KDX was better in the fact that it was light but the power delivery of the WR makes it smoother to ride . I have found the power on the WR is very mellow down low just where you want it "no nasty shocks" .Once you get over 1/3 throttle it kicks in with a lot of power which just goes on. I have yet to get the shocks set right for me but even now the bike feels more a part of me than the KDX ever did. I hate to say it but I'm very taken with this bike , I know a lot of you guys out there will say yes but if you change the forks over and work on the engine you will get a bike that feels much better , when you look at the cost of doing that it makes the KDX expencive.Swoping over to the WR was a much cheaper option. Ok there are a few down sides the tanks is small 8lt but this makes it better to move around on the bike. It is heavy it's only 20 Kg but if you have to push it you feel every one of them.
The one thing I don't miss is the two stoke cost, every fill up was costing me £7.25 ( $11.00 ) per 5lts of petrol when you add the oil cost .
So there you have it I loved my KDX220 and I'm sure I will one day get another one , but if your looking for a bit more for not much more cash I can recommend the WR426. Looking at the UK prices the WR426 is around the same as a KDX220 if you repipe it and change the forks the KDX is going to be around £400 + higher .

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Give it a couple years. Your first full rebuilt will cost you what you could buy a nice KDX for, and then the tune changes.

Glad you like though. If I was going to go to a 4 stroke (which I won't) the WR426 would be at the top of my list of big heavy pigs I would like to own.

BTW, my fork conversion cost me a whopping $65.

J.

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
Glad you are having a fine time on the 4 stroke. I own both 4 and 2 stroke bikes, and after several years of riding 4 strokes, I still prefer a two stroke for almost everything except having to cover pavement stretches and the possibility of having to gas one up at a gas station.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
to each their own I suppose....I've had 13 bikes and the kdx is tops for me....you must have some xtra wieght to be hual'n if ya need a big bike...

Last edited:

jonooffler

Jun 10, 2009
is you sayin I is fat well I'm not I'm just big boned.
Jono
sr5bidder said:
to each their own I suppose....I've had 13 bikes and the kdx is tops for me....you must have some xtra wieght to be hual'n if ya need a big bike...

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
I have a KDX200 (2006) and a KLX450R (2008). Is one better than the other? Depends on the kind of riding I'm doing that day. They each have their advantages, and I find myself on the KDX more than I find myself riding the KLX.
The suspension is a generation better on the big fourstrokes than it is on the KDX200/220's, and it's to be expected that they will handle the really tricky stuff better.
I still like the 200.....

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
mudpack said:
I have a KDX200 (2006) and a KLX450R (2008). Is one better than the other? Depends on the kind of riding I'm doing that day. They each have their advantages, and I find myself on the KDX more than I find myself riding the KLX.
The suspension is a generation better on the big fourstrokes than it is on the KDX200/220's, and it's to be expected that they will handle the really tricky stuff better.
I still like the 200.....
I too have had a brand new KLX450R 2008 model and I sold it and replaced it with an 06 KDX, I put my money where my mouth is on that one. There is no boubt that the KLX450 has better suspension (by a mile and then some). It has much more power, but as a complete package for the type of trail riding I do it was a pig. If I wanted a bike for desert racing I would buy one but that's all. I doubt I will ever sell my KDX, especially as I am sure it will still be going when I finally quit riding. Riding the KLX450 was just a bit of a mission in itself in most places. Rideability on tricky tight terrain, I would say the KDX is the winner easily. On more open trails the KLX would shine unless you want it to steer.

jonooffler

Jun 10, 2009
Thanks for all your good wishes on this one. I must admit that if I had my way I would have kept my KDX220 but with the day to day push on cash it's not fair to add another bike to the list. If I had kept the KDX220 I'm not sure how much I would have used it, as I say most of the riding I do works better on a 4 stroke.There was one hill that I have riden on all my off road bikes but the KDX 220 was the only one that failed on the climb. The power was too low at low revs but too much higher up . The WR is much smoother on that bit of the ride.
It's interesting that a few have said about the KLX450, TBM ( a UK based dirt bike mag ) ran a feature over two months where they compaired a WR400 to the new WR450 and then a KLX450. The WR450 test was riding on trails and the KLX450 was on a race .At the end of the race they said that the KLX450 was better than the WR400 but pointed out that it was not quite what the racer wanted .The reviewer pointed out that in the UK you will see more old KDX's at the races than KLX450 .
In a later mag they also said that if they had riden a smaller bike they would have finished much higher up the leader board.
I will find my self back on a KDX at some time, or maybe another brand of two smoke, that is until the the eco greenies don't ban them first.
:(

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom