jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I picked up my new CRF450 ('04) this morning! I'm stoked~ :yeehaw:
Paid $6200 (that's including taxes and fees) at Meridian Cycle.

BIG difference from my KX250! There are some issues with this bike I'll have to work out, but I'm still thrilled! Thump, how do you clean your airfilter? I can't get it out of the box because the subframe is in the way and the box is too small to turn it sideways! The head pipe sticks out 2 or three inches, so when you extend your right leg into a turn, your leg hits it....thankfully, Honda addressed this by adding a heat shield there so you don't melt your calf! The suspension is VERY stiff, of course I haven't adjusted the sag yet and it still only has about 15 minutes on it so it's nowhere near broken in yet. The plastic is extremely flimsy, on my KX it was very rigid (even had fins on the inside to stiffen it up) but I imagine it was Honda's way of shaving weight. The valve train is noisy, but like I said, it's not broken in yet and I'm coming off a 2 stroke --- so I have no basis for comparison! The red looks GOOD, but the seat is the old red/orange color (and very noticeable)--- the designer should be really embarrassed! But the gripper seat cover is awesome, the shape and foam softness is awesome as well. Clutch pull is so easy, it's ridiculous! My KX was tough, but this is effortless. I'll be taking it to the track later to open it up a bit and put a little air under the tires, I'll have a bit better comparison then!

Questions::: I didn't get the owners manual today, the dealer couldn't find it but would be looking.

What are the stock clicker settings on the suspension?
Also, what is the best way to start this bike cold and hot?
I need detailed info on that, because I have no idea! It'll idle for about 30 seconds, backfire, then stall. I'll run a search on how to jet, etc....since it's so much different than my KX......but some starting points would be great!

Thanks guys!

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Well, went to the track for about an hour today. The bike is awesome!
The track is mostly hard pack (lots of blue groove) with some EXTREMELY silty turns (silty outside, blue groove on the inside). The bike handled it all perfectly! With the KX, I would have to coast through the turns, straighten up, then get on the gas (took way too much time). If I gave it gas too early, the rear end would slide out and I would highside. With the CRF, I can enter the turn hotter, use every speck or bump in the turn as traction, roll the throttle on and accelerate all the way through! I was faster on the CRF by the second lap than I was on my KX. It jumps like a dream too! The first jump I attempted is a small slightly uphill 25 foot double as you exit a left hand sweeper. Well, my buddy blew the silty berm out just ahead of me so I started drifting to the outside as I exited the turn. Well, I was still drifting when I hit the jump and it caused me to pancake the bike in the air! It was sweet! I've been trying to learn how to do that for the last couple of months and never could get the bike to go flat, but on the FIRST jump I did it! The bike landed no problem and off I went!
I didn't think at first that it really had any bottom end. My KX could chug along all day, but the CRF acted like it didn't want to (in tight woods, there really would be a problem), but I tried entering turns I usually do in 1st gear on my KX (90 degree hairpins) in 2nd gear on the Honda and the bike did just fine! It didn't sound like it wanted to run in that higher gear at that low of an RPM, but when I turned the throttle a little farther, the bike really came alive.
The bike is REALLY twitchy on high speed straights with small kicker bumps. I almost had the bars pulled from my hands a couple of times. I'll try lowering the forks in the clamps a few milimeters to see if that'll combat it.
It's VERY loud. That is the one thing that really turns me off about 4strokes. It makes me cringe when I start it up at home (I'm out in the country too) and KNOW my neighbors can hear it. Has anyone tried the FMF Q silencer yet? I know it's supposed to make a HUGE difference in sound (FMF says 92 decibels....I think the stock pipe is somewhere around 96), just curious if it changes the performance any.
The suspension really isn't as bad as I thought it was earlier. It feels stiff at the top of the stroke, but I think that'll change as it breaks in. I didn't do any clicker adjustments or sag adjustments (it's right at 100mm already!) so I can fine tune it as I go along. I didn't have any bottoming (on my KX with stiffer springs (for a 210# rider) I had black rub marks under my rear fender from the tire on bottom outs) but the CR with stock suspension handled it all well. I'm 186#'s by the way.
My buddy has an '00 YZ426 and he said he felt faster on the CRF after his first lap than he is on his own bike (he's an Intermediate rider). Once again, we didn't make ANY changes from how I picked it up off the showroom floor.
The bike is EFFORTLESS to ride! On my KX after about 4 laps, I would be out of breath and exhausted...trying to stay ahead of the bike. I took the CRF out and rode 10 hard laps with out ever getting winded. After 3 laps I was totally comfortable in the air and was doing every jump on the track with ease. The bike feels SOOO much lighter than the KX too.
Well, that's all I can think of for now. I know Thumps post on his bike had a lot to do with me getting this one. I'm thankful I read it, because I would really be missing out if I didn't buy this bike!

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
On all the 04crf450's that ive seen the fork clickers were off from the factory. The shocks were ok but check it anyway. The forks were at 5 out on rebound(bottom of fork) and should have been 10. This will cause headshake for sure. don't drop the forks till you check this!!! Try the compression(top of fork) at 10-12. The shocks have been working well at 10 on compression and 8-10 on rebound. Also re-check your sag if your close to 190 then 1 to 2 turns in may be needed on the spring. Set sag 100-105mm. What an easy bike to ride huh? :cool:

Last edited:
B

biglou

Welcome to the dark side, Boomer. You mentioned the plastic in your first post-I remember reading in one of the reviews on TWMX or RacerX that Honda did shave the plastic everywhere they could to drop some weight. I think the 04 is 3lb lighter than the 03 overall if I remember correctly.

Speaking of new rides, how's that T45? :)

Rannoch

Dec 4, 2002
Thats really cool.

I believe the stock pipe is 102db, while the "Q" is more like >96. I'd have to suggest it. I had a PowerCore4 on my XR400 and that thing was like a jet. I put the silencer option, at the sake of a little power, and am happy with the results.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
102!!?? Dang that's loud! Yeah, 96 is a lot better, but I sure would like to have it a little lower, ya know what I mean? I'll have to go back and read my old mags, I remember one of them did a shootout on pipes with db readings, maybe that'll shed some light and offer a little hope!

Lou, that T45 is SWEET! But, unfortunately I haven't gotten into it yet. I'm still in the T2. I'm in the 3rd to the last class that'll be flying it. The last class is about 4 weeks behind me in training. It's been around since the late 50's, so I guess it's time to retire it. I went on a night hop the other day and the first airplane was broke before we taxiied out and the second one broke while we were out in the training area. My buddy that was flying at the same time lost all the radios in his and had to fly back without any comms. They're on their last legs, let me tell ya! It'll probably be February before I get in the T45, I hear it's like a miniature F-18. All glass cockpit, MFD's and HUD and VERY slippery! All in due time!

Yeah, the clicker settings were all about 5 out on forks and shock and rebound/compression. Also, the tire pressure was about 18 psi in the front and about 25 in the rear....I'm suprised I didn't bust a tube! I started with your recommended settings and have still come out 3 or 4 on compression and 2 or 3 on rebound. The choppy square edged bumps are still giving me fits, but the twitchyness is coming under control. I'll probably just keep tuning as the suspenders break in. One minute the front end wants to push, the next is diving to the inside. Kinda unpredictable at the moment. But already twice as good as the KX! And IT WILL HAUL!

Thanks gents!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Thanks for the write up, im thinking about seeing if i can get a CRF at the bike show this november :)

mr73

Nov 30, 2002
Glad your enjoing your CRF, can't wait to start riding mine again! I have an 03' so everything on starting should be the same. This will be info for when the bike is cold: Turn on fuel, pull choke, turn the throttle 1-2 times before starting , push the kickstarter down normally (dont jump on it) until you can't push it anymore and it lands on top so you can jump on it. Don't have the throttle turned while trying to start it either. So pretty much when you are pushing the kickstarter to the hard point it should be at top dead center. Should start with one kick everytime, well mine does at least. I am not a moto technician this is the way I start mine and it starts on first kick evertime. I have not rode the bike for six months and its been sitting, I store it outside under a good tarp (no garage) . I went to start it the other day and it started on the first kick and I couldn't freeking believe it!!

Top Bottom