78kl250a

Jan 20, 2003
Howdy everybody, im 19 years old, 6 foot tall, and weigh in at around 195lbs. im currently riding a 02 wr250f, and i want more power. i cant afford another new bike, so im deffinitally looking used, i also need to get a little bit more money, some i think im looking at around $1500 to spend. my parents friend has a 97 or 98(he cant remember) KX250. now if im not mistaken, the 98 was the best year for the kx, how is the 97, he's trying to decide if he wants to sell it, but if he does he said he would take 1500 for it, is this a good price, ive seen the bike, it has a FMF fatty pipe, new singarm bearings and new brakes. The chain, sprockets, and tires are good. im not sure about the top end, he says it dosent need it, but if i look at it ill definitally do a compression test. the bike is in pretty good shap, plastics are pretty good, so is this a good deal?

Next Question, how much is my bike worth if i decide to sell it and get another. it is basically stock, it has the gray wire disconected, throtle stop cut and the baffle removed. tires, chain and sprockets are stock and look to still be in good shape, it has new rear brakes installed and i have an extra set of front pads. the problem with it is that the plastics are very scratched(took some pretty hard fals on hill climbs). so what is it worth.

So am i crazy for wanting to buy an older bike. oh yea, i ride mostly trails, but i want to start trying motocross, ive tried it once and loved it.

Thanks for all the replies in advance

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
I don't think you're crazy to want a 2stroke over a 4stroke....as far as value to your bike I would suggest you check out trader.com and do a search for your yr. make etc, and do the same for the kx. Anyways, last winter I was looking at a 98kx 250 a guy had for sale. The bike was cherry with about 20hrs on it....it was perfect...and he wouldn't take 2500.00, which I though was a fair price. He wanted something like 3k for it. So, I think 1500.00 sounds fair given your description of the bike. Good luck with it.

n8MX

Mar 27, 2001
1500 sounds like a great price assuming it's in good shape... or even not so perfect shape. I bought my 98 KX250 for 2500 about a year and a half ago. It was in really nice shape, but not really any aftermarket goodies. It's a great bike, unfortunately I don't have as much money now as I need to keep it in really nice shape (college student...). Anyway, I don't think you could go wrong with that bike for that price.

Andy

Top Bottom