Thumping_AB

May 23, 2001
Well after a long ride out on a flat rear tire, it looks like its time to stare blankly at the wall of rubber at the local dealership again.
I've already tried a Dunlop D739 but I wasn't at all happy with the hookup, or lack thereof. The original D755 (I think thats what it was) that came with the bike (a YZ426) really stuck but all the knobbies were severed after a couple of weeks. So I'm wondering if anyone has found a tire that they'd recommend for the thumper in intermediate to hard terrain. We've got all kinds of stuff here, sand, dirt, roots, gravel, but worst of al is the sharp pointy rocks sticking out of all the hill faces.

And while I've got your attention, has anyone found a fork boot that will fit over the front forks of these bikes?

Thanks a bunch!

motojunkie

Apr 25, 2001
I use Michelin Starcross MH2's on my KTM 520SX, and they work great on the track and in the desert. Another benefit is that they wear like iron. Since the YZ426 doesn't have nearly the power of a 520, you should have really good luck with them. ;)

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
US YZFs come with a 739.

If you were happy with the 755 outside of its tendency to chunk knobs I think you should try the 756. While not a hard terrain tire at all it seems to be popular for all kinds of terrain, and is definitely more durable than the 755, with thicker knobs and possibly a bit sturdier compound. I’m on my second one and haven’t chunked any knobs yet, a normal occurrence when I was a faithful 755 (& 752) user. If you want better hookup you may also try the 120 mm size, they recently became available for the 756 (but they do cost like ten bucks more than a 110).

For sharp rocks I like the 739 AT, it is almost indestructible, but has a tread pattern basically identical to a "normal" 739. This tire hooks up okay for me in gravel and sand (not on par w/ the 756 though), but if you didn't like your 739 then I don't suppose you'd like the AT. It is also heavier, but it is a brute of a tire in rocks and such.

Hope this helps.

MichiYZ400

Aug 14, 2001
I agree with Hick here, I live in Michigan and we run the gamut in terrain with the exception of desert. The 756's hold up incredibly well as long as your not running pavement for any extended time. You might also check into Michelin M12 series tires, they have good wear propeties as well and crosssover to pretty much any terrain ( Jack of all trades, Master of none.)

Thumping_AB

May 23, 2001
Thanks for the ideas all, I decided to try the Michelin this time just to get a feel for what other companies are offering. Happy trails!

OZ_dirtrider

Jul 2, 2001
Dunlop 756, Mich S12's or Metzeler MC4, l'ved used these tyres on all my bikes and can't fault them in the loose to hard packed grounds.
The D756 is excellent in the soft to hard stuff but after half worn can be felt wanting especially in mud (very) conditions. Side handling is excellent.
Mich S12's are slightly more expensive but after half wear is still pretty grippy. Excellent cleaning pattern in muddy conditions.
MC4's, same as above but doen't last that long in rocky and hard packed terrain but exceptional in cornering in loose stuff.
Why a fork boot? The protectors are fine? I use a wetsuit type material that goes over the seal and part of the stantion that helps clean the muck making the selas life easier.

Hope it helps

J:eek:

Top Bottom